Skip to main content
Topic: Memcached not detected? (Read 2170 times) previous topic - next topic

Memcached not detected?

Hello,

I build my VPS with ServerPilot, then enabled Memcached manually via How to Install Memcached by ServerPilot.
However Memcached reported as not detected. Even after I rebooted the server.

but

in my other VPS, which was built with EasyEngine, Elkarte could detect the Memcached.

Any solution?

Re: Memcached not detected?

Reply #1

Does memcache show up in your PHP info ? 

You need both the daemon running on a server and the PHP extension enabled to interface with it.  Admin->configuration->server settings->php info should list memcache settings.

Reply #2

are php5-memcached or php-memcached installed?

Reply #3

It should be php-memcache without d at its end.

Reply #4

Wow, apparently it was memcache not memcached!

Elkarte said that it could detect memcached, however after I manually install memcache, Elkarte detected it as memcached  ;D

Isn't memcache and memcached two different things?
I read that memcache is is no longer maintained and memcache does not support PHP 7. Should we upgrade to support memcached instead? or even Redis?

Anyway thanks folks for clearing this up.

Reply #5

Yes. They are two different things. I installed both memcached and php-memcache in mine.

Other than default opcache for php7, you can also try to install APCu too. I am however not so sure whether ElkArte will detect it as APC. @Spuds?

Reply #6

It should have worked with either PHP extension,  memcached and the older memcache  one.  Both of those are clients to the memcached dameon running on the server.  I think I cleaned that up in 1.1, at least I made some changes on how it identified things, but really having the same name applied to two different things is just confusing.

ElkArte will see APCu and use it appropriately, yes It will report it as APC but it knows its interfacing with APCu