Skip to main content
Topic: Removing of the "New" display / Bold lettering for "today" and "yesterday" (Read 2156 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing of the "New" display / Bold lettering for "today" and "yesterday"

Hello!

Like in this forum I want to have the "New" display removed next to the recent topics/messages on the index page and the messages page.
Instead of this I want to have the words "today" and "yesterday" in bold lettering (in the admin center I've selected "Today & Yesterday" for the date display).

Where and how can I do that? I tried different things but all what happed was that the background behind "New" disappered or the letters were suddenly too big...
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0

Re: Removing of the "New" display / Bold lettering for "today" and "yesterday"

Reply #1

hmm... Monday I'll go back to work, so my brain is already complaining, so I need some more info. :)

Quote from: Mrs. Chaos – Like in this forum I want to have the "New" display removed next to the recent topics/messages on the index page and the messages page.
Can you post a screenshot of where you have the "new"?
I'm not sure if I'm looking at the same page you are mentioning. :)

Quote from: Mrs. Chaos – Instead of this I want to have the words "today" and "yesterday" in bold lettering (in the admin center I've selected "Today & Yesterday" for the date display).
For this you have to change the language strings in index.english.php (or any other language you have installed):
Code: [Select]
$txt['today'] = 'Today at %1$s';
$txt['yesterday'] = 'Yesterday at %1$s';
to... oh well, I guess this is fine:
$txt['today'] = '<strong>Today</strong> at %1$s';
$txt['yesterday'] = '<strong>Yesterday</strong> at %1$s';
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Thanks! "Today" and "Yesterday" are bold now. :)

I've attached an image concerning the "New" questions.
I mean the NEW images on the index/start page of the forum, which are behind the links/titles of the new topics. They are to see when the topics are really new, but also always when I am logged out, even if I have read all topics.
How can I remove these NEW displays, so that they are never there?

And another thing:
The link "Mark All Messages As Read" can be seen on the start page only if a user is logged in. Can I change it somehow, so that the link is always there? That also non-logged guests can click on it?

Reply #3

Odd, I didn't think those showed unless you logged in.

.new_posts{display:none} 
should probably do the trick if you want to hide them. Now I'm on my way out but the basic principle is that you can make a file like

themes/default/css/_besocial/custom_besocial.css
or
themes/default/css/_light/custom_light.css

and stick that (and other minor theme overrides) in it.

I think they're useful though! Mark all as read works for me. :)

Reply #4

I was thinking to suggest what Frenzie wrote. :)

Quote from: Mrs. Chaos – The link "Mark All Messages As Read" can be seen on the start page only if a user is logged in. Can I change it somehow, so that the link is always there? That also non-logged guests can click on it?
I don't think this is gonna be useful, because it wouldn't do anything... it would just be a button there that people could click on nad that's all. :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Yes, what Frenzie wrote is right. It removes all "NEW's" in the forum. :)

Okay, I abandoned the idea with the "Mark All Messages As Read" link. It was just a little thought, but it's not really important.

Thanks to you both!