Skip to main content
Topic: @moderator(s) or @admin(s) (Read 5272 times) previous topic - next topic

@moderator(s) or @admin(s)

Was thinking it may be a nice feature to have our members mention function include a @ moderator or @ admin to call them to a post, as a way to ask for assistance.  Such as a post needs to be split or moved or whatever, vs resorting to using the reporting a post.  Could use the same permissions as report post as well.

Now since I'm not really up on the @ functions, if we think this is a good idea, maybe @emanuele can help with whats needed  O:-)

Re: @moderator(s) or @admin(s)

Reply #1

If it can be turned off from administration. These can cause massive amounts of spam on bigger forums.

Reply #2

Yup .. thats why I indicated to use the report post permissions, it should be no more abusive than that.

Reply #3

I see this being hard to handle the conflicts. What if there is someone with the name admins or moderators?

Reply #4

I firmly disagree, it's basically a dupe of the already existing function, and can also cause flaming - example: a guy tags a mod/admin, and the other guy rages at him for that.

Also, what Joshua said.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #5

Display name of admin or moderator ??? LOL what kind of a site are you running :P

Its also certainly not a duplicate function, thats like saying @ mentions is a duplicate of the PM system.

Anyway looks like there is no interest ,  so I'll write it up and keep it to myself  as well, cuz I can do just that ;)

Reply #6

I think staff reference is a good feature.

Reply #7

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Joshua Dickerson link=msg=21064 date=1445030530]
I see this being hard to handle the conflicts. What if there is someone with the name admins or moderators?
[/quote]
Admin is usually a reserved name and I think group names should be reserved user names (that's actually a feature request if it is not already like that :P).

[quote author=Flavio93Zena link=msg=21065 date=1445030600]
I firmly disagree,
[/quote]
I would really not like to see the "firmly disagree" stuff around here. Last time I got a "firmly disagree" I packed my stuff and helped Spuds making ElkArte what is now. (Just to give you the idea of what kind of environment I would avoid to copy, thanks.)

That said,
[quote author=Flavio93Zena link=msg=21065 date=1445030600]
it's basically a dupe of the already existing function, and can also cause flaming - example: a guy tags a mod/admin, and the other guy rages at him for that.
It's a dupe? Partially, but not entirely.
I'd like it quite a bit, I've seen many time things like @some random name to ask for a topic to be moved, or a topic split, etc.
It's much more natural than having to use the report button.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

If I posted in the wrong area could @moderator  please move it to the correct section? Thank you!

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I feel we have made it full circle, could @moderator  / @admin please lock/close this thread? Thank you.

PS: I like this idea :P
Thank you,
LordRT

Reply #9

May be limited to premium members in busy forums ?

Reply #10

@emanuele fix your post, it's unreadable.
Btw, sorry but you can't force me to agree with something I strongly don't agree with. I have past experiences other than Elkarte and sm.org, and I know how people can actually (mis)behave, hence my statement. If you got it in a personal-ish way you misunderstood it.

That said, I am taking some time off, I'm in an extremely "fudge nuggets" period and that post didn't help either. Good night.
Gonna actually logout this time, never even tested that function... Yet.

EDIT: just realized I could even make it more clear. Congratz for doing Elkarte, I never questioned that, and it was a bit out of context IMHO. Anyway, even if I was some sort of Project Manager here and I "firmly disagreed" with something, but being alone at it, then I would still be against it, but let everyone to achieve it regardless.
And please do tag me when you reply, will miss a bunch of stuff during this offline period.
Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:49:19 pm by Flavio93Zena
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #11

Perhaps just have mentions for usernames, and add functionality to mention a group of people as an add-on?

Reply #12

Personally, I feel this would be a good idea.
For one, it would save on a lot of "Reported" posts, that people have often used as way to get posts moved/deleted.
I've seen it at SM.org, and on my own forums, before. That was one reason, I actually had ideas, never done, to not allow post reporting, since it seemed to have gotten spammed by move/delete requests.

Reply #13

I dont like it. I think too many taggings can be a spam too; and it can be disturbing as well. I would suggest the limit option on how much tagging can be made by a person too, if this is not implemented yet. Besides, board moderator is normally named and can be seen at the board info. So tagging that name should be just fine for needy members.

Reply #14

Be that as it may... What's easier to deal with? A mention or a reported post?  ;)