Skip to main content
Topic: Subaccounts / Link accounts & Shop/Currency (Read 2455 times) previous topic - next topic

Subaccounts / Link accounts & Shop/Currency

I was using SMF for a long time, a total of 6 years managing one site and now almost ay ear on my own forum. I am making a site project and found Elkearte, I must say I am impressed. We've spent around $100 on features probably more for my site but the majority of them are prepackaged on elkearte and work just as well.

There are only two things that as a roleplaying forum is important for members.

Linking accounts / Subaccounts
Many roleplayers like to have multiple accounts for their characters to keep organization, even something like on Jcink where you make an account separately then link it to your account would suffice. I feel this would have uses outside of roleplayers with those developing mods being able to go back and forth between users of varying permissions and member groups.

and

Shop and Currency
While for my site in particular a shop will not be used as much, many members love to earn things for their characters and an automatic shop helps forum owners with not havingto manually award items to people and keep lists. A currency is just fun to see how your contributions to the forum causes your points to go up, and can be a good reward in a pinch.

Besides those two features, everything seems great. Good work on everything you guys have made, everything was so easy to install, and I have hardly any coding experience, besides installing mods and following directions. so I'm not sure on what level these features would be, but thought I'd suggest them.

Re: Subaccounts / Link accounts & Shop/Currency

Reply #1

Hi Genesis and welcome. :)

IIRC, sub-accounts should not be that difficult, but from the mod I remember they could be a pain in terms of security (but probably because in the mod I remember, sub-accounts could belong to multiple primary accounts or something like that... it's all a bit foggy ATM).
There is already an addon (either beta or WIP) that allows to impersonate another member in order to test permissions... that could be a good base to start from.

Shop/currency... I'm not sure if I'm reading it wrong, but in your description I seem to find at least two or three different concepts (a shop where users sell and buy things (like characters), an auto-award, a points system based on achievements).
But I'm ready to go bed, so it may be that. xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Subaccounts / Link accounts & Shop/Currency

Reply #2

There was a previous subaccount mod that was used on an SMF website that I helped manage, but when I made my own forum, the mod seemed to have been updated to be a lot more secure, you for example cannot log into a subaccount anymore. Before you could log into a subaccount and then access the main account of another person.

Sorry for the confusion about the shop, mostly all that I am looking for in a shop is a currency system, members being able to buy items and an inventory that you can view. Currency would be primarily earned with posting, however an option to grant currency when marks are reached (ex. Congrats on 100 posts, heres 500 coins) but that'd just be an extra neat feature lol.