Skip to main content
Topic: Support for webp images (Read 262 times) previous topic - next topic

Support for webp images

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp
I did a test by enabling webp extension in Attachment Settings, the attachment is uploaded, but is displayed as full width inside a post, not as a thumbnail. I attach a screenshot
X

What do you think about supporting this format in Elkarte? As far as I can see, it was recently added as in wordpress, and I start to see more and more websites using this format for images.
sorry for my bad english

Re: Support for webp images

Reply #1
The main drama with WebP is that it only got added to GD (the graphics library in PHP) relatively recently and I don’t know how up to date hosts are on the subject.

Reply #2
to avoid this, the webp extension should be disabled from default.
In ACP > Forum > Attachments settings > Allowed attachment extensions > ? :
X
we can change:
Specify what attachment types are allowed, for example: jpg,png,gif Remember to be careful in what you allow as some file extensions can cause a security risk to your website.
to something like:
Specify what attachment types are allowed, for example: jpg,png,gif Remember to be careful in what you allow as some file extensions can cause a security risk to your website. For webp file extension GD library is required....
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3
I have a foggy memory of looking at this a one point.  I guess the short of it is, yeah it probably should be supported at some point.  I'll add a task on git so we remember.
Be safe, Be kind, Happy Programing