Skip to main content
Topic: Front page download and fork buttons (Read 2733 times) previous topic - next topic

Front page download and fork buttons

The anchor should be the whole button, with no span. As things are, you have buttons which are only partially functional. The hover effect indicates anywhere over the visible button will give a result, but the functional anchor is much, much smaller. This is not good. I was clicking the bugger and wondering why it didn't do anything. :P

Why dd anyone want a span there anyway? Just use the anchor properly. Give that whatever line height and padding it needs and be done with it.

I can't see the point of the i tag either. Why not just set the icon as a background image on the anchor?

(using an i tag here is terrible semantics too, IMO)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Front page download and fork buttons

Reply #1

Since < i> is presentational only, it shouldn't affect any semantics. It is used by many CSS libraries (font-awesome in this case) to add font-based icons.

Reply #2

Ah. Is font. K. Sorta makes sense then. Should still lose the span though.

Reply #3

What span :P .... thanks for pointing that out, fixed.

Reply #4

Make the icons the default page color instead of the link color?

Reply #5

Yeah and also change the "Fork ElkArte" button so it says "Fork me hard, fork me good, fork me like you know you should".

It's a bit verbose, but is bound to encourage more activity. :)

Reply #6

is also used in Wedge to show Smileys. It even encloses the hidden text version of them, so that copying and pasting a post would copy the text version instead of the image. ^___^

Reply #7

I've missed you Ant.

Nao, that's pretty cool. I see you did the same thing I did with the < i> tag ;)

Reply #8

That's what I said. But apparently typing a tag name gets deleted in elkarte... bug alert :p my post started with the literal i tag.
I also have more interesting uses of sort of deprecated tags but that's the best example of all. Another great example is that I cut long URLs but I actually keep them internally, and copying the post body keeps the actual URL complete. :) how many times have you seen people reposting cut URLs!!

Reply #9

The editor converted the
Code: [Select]
<i>
to
[i]
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.