Skip to main content
Topic: What is Modifications.english.php replacement file? (Read 3301 times) previous topic - next topic

What is Modifications.english.php replacement file?

I know that we can create our own language file for our mod. But I do not think it is necessary for all, unless it is a big mod that requires a lot of strings. So, as the topic stated, what is Modifications.english.php replacement file?

Re: What is Modifications.english.php replacement file?

Reply #1

It's Addons.english.php

Reply #2

Thanks. I was looking up and down for that. Forgetting it is renamed as addon here. :)

Reply #3

With all of the hooks that are now available, this should now be considered legacy. The mod should just include their own language file with a hook whenever necessary.

Reply #4

I don't see the need to create all that for a small mod, really. Long line of coding should depends a lot on forum owner. If it can be done via shorter codes and less files, why one should bother with long ones. Issue of mods' conflict will still be there whether a mod is created by a hook or otherwise. Where's the fun in coding if you didn't have the freedom of choice in doing it for your own forum?

Reply #5

Of course you have the choice of doing changes the way you want. ;)
Of course, using "another file" or using "hooks" does have advantages. nods
I myself don't like to have to create a file just for one line of a language string I'd need. But, I do, because install and unisntall is much easier (at least I find easier to just add a require-file in package-info instead of having to create a "modifications.xml" and write the xml, but I'm weird, I know :P) and because for the way I write and test mods (I have a weirdly complex setup lol).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I've done them both ways, but I still have the tendency to use the addon language file when I just have 1 or 2 txt strings to add. 

Using the addon language file is also nice since its loaded for you, vs having to add a loadLanguage(bla) ....

Anyway, point is do what makes you happy, thats why both ways work ;)

Reply #7

Quote from: Spuds – Using the addon language file is also nice since its loaded for you, vs having to add a loadLanguage(bla) ....
^^ This is a good point, /me wonders if an "autoloadlang" settings somewhere may... O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

You can always change your own forum, but the direction 'customizations' are trying to move is to make it possible to do things without editing files. Editing files is a huge source of issues.