Skip to main content
Topic: Git/Github wtf? (Read 4513 times) previous topic - next topic

Git/Github wtf?

<rant>Ok, I'm starting to agree with Ant the more I try to use this shiz. It's really pissing me off, and putting me off from wanting to commit code.

I tried to submit a pull request to SMF2.1 for a small bugfix in SSI where it's not overriding a permission in ssi_fetchPost() properly. At first I thought I'd try the github interface since I had not forked SMF2.1. It then proceeded to tell me that it would fork the project and create a branch auto-magically for me when creating the pull request. Silly me as usual, I forgot to sign-off...

So I figured I'd just close my request, create my own branch put the bugfix in and submit my one line of code change. This SOB then tries to tell me in my pull request, that I have 4 commits and 232 file changes.... One of those changes is something that Oldiesmann has done. WTF? The rest of the changes say that I have removed excess blank lines after the closing ?> tag in a bunch of files. In the middle of that cluster**** it is also telling me that I checked in some lines of code where I had some merge conflicts. All of which it never notified me or showed me that.... This invariably happens almost every freaking time I try to submit code.

If we don't find a way to make this easier, we will not get more people to help. I consider myself a pretty capable guy. When this shiz pisses me off, we need to consider coming up with a way to show others how to fix this stuff. Someone shouldn't have to be an expert in git/github in order to contribute.</rant>

Sorry, but this just pisses me off to no end lately. And I just had to get it out there. Back to deleting the repo and trying again....
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Re: Git/Github wtf?

Reply #1

Wild guess: you are sending the PR to master, that in SMF repo is totally outdated.
When sending the PR, select the branch release-2.1
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I don't "think" that was the issue. I am pretty sure I was even diff'ing things to the release-2.1 branch. Either way though, I removed the branch and re-did the whole thing. Looks like it's working. Although, it is still telling me that I've removed blank lines at the end of the file when I view the diff. lol I'm ok with that though I guess.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

That's because I said "wild guess". :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I generally have a love it hate it thing going with GIT ... I do generally find that its more of a deterrent for casual users to participate .. its not friendly and I've had less constraints on project signoffs and general prickly procedural things at work then on a git project :P

When things work as expected its very cool, being able to switch between branches on my test site is *awesome*, or pull in some code to test and check out with a single click are all invaluable  ... but when things go wrong its really really a PITA on many levels.  I can't even count how many times I've had to rebuild a commit or spend time on some non-existent merge conflict, or have it refuse to switch off a branch, or loose a stash save, or refuse to push, bla bla bla ...

Reply #5

Antechinus thinks Elk needs a good popcorn smiley...........
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – I can't even count how many times I've had to rebuild a commit or spend time on some non-existent merge conflict, or have it refuse to switch off a branch, or loose a stash save, or refuse to push, bla bla bla ...

Couldn't agree more.. Solving merge conflicts and such stuff is sometimes a PITA.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #7

Good to know I'm not the only feeling the occasional git pains.