Skip to main content
Topic: WINE for ElkArte  (Read 3297 times) previous topic - next topic

WINE for ElkArte

Just wondering if we can write some interface to make SMF mods work on ElkArte just like WINE in Ubuntu.

Re: WINE for ElkArte

Reply #1

I'm afraid is not so simple
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Nothing is :)

Reply #3

What does WINE do? I only remember it to be a Windows simulator.

Reply #4

Generic interface is plain impossible (and you may not know, but I don't use that expression very often).
The only possible (and probably meaningful) generic interface we can provide for compatibility with SMF is a mapping of ElkArte functions to $smcFunc equivalents.
Apart from that, any other thing would just be basically impossible.

Most of SMF mods rely on code edits, and provide a "fallback" for code edits is impossible (unless you want to go down the route to hack the package manager to react in a certain way when it encounters a certain action, that means really create a "case" for each mod that exist).

WINE, is an acronym for WINE Is Not an Emulator.
WINE can exist because Windows provides APIs that programs use to communicate with the OS. WINE "just" replicates this layer of APIs and programs mostly work on Linux as they works on Windows ("mostly" because many don't).
SMF doesn't provide (almost) any API the mods can use. The closest thing to APIs are hooks and functions.
If a mod uses only hooks and functions, there is a good probability the generic replacement of $smcFunc would be enough, but is not certain. It's a sort of guess...

Write the $smcFunc replacement is not difficult.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

I know. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.