Skip to main content
Topic: Error uploading attachments. (1.1) (Read 3714 times) previous topic - next topic

Error uploading attachments. (1.1)

In Beta 1.1, I receive this error when uploading attachments in a post.

Basically the percentage loader bar loads to 100% and the message below is displayed:

Code: [Select]
Error uploading attachments.
There was a problem and your attachments could not be uploaded

Note: The attachments directory permissions has also been set to 777 from 755. Both didn't work.
Facta, non verba.

Re: Error uploading attachments. (1.1)

Reply #1

Hmm...?
Facta, non verba.

Reply #2

@Ruth has some problems too with attachments with her 1.0.7. Maybe she can post the english error message here? I only know the german one (saying the "post data is missing"). If it is a complete other problem, please split. Thank you!  :-[

Reply #3

We are also using a german error file, Jorin... ;) It is on on line 222, in the Errors.english.php as well: $txt['post_upload_error']
$txt['post_upload_error'] = 'Beitragsdaten fehlen. Der Fehler tritt auf, wenn mehr Daten übermittelt werden als vom Server zugelassen sind. Bitte bei einem Administrator melden, wenn der Fehler weiterhin auftritt.';

It happend a few times in my testforum, that the attachment was not there after the upload. But I did not get an error message like this. If tried the upload again, it always worked.

A member of our forum is always getting this errormessage, if the upload failes. Maybe it has to do with the browser? She is using firefox, I am using opera.

The error log did show an "undefined error" in ...sources/subs/Attachments.subs.php on line 394 for her failed upload.

Reply #4

I think, niloc was getting another error, but I cannot find it in the errorfile, sorry.

Reply #5

Sorry, but I'm finishing 1.0.8, can't have a look at this for a moment.
I think there is a known bug in 1.1B1 regarding attachments.
Anyway, does it work sometimes? Or you get the error on any attachment?
Could you have a look at the admin panel and be sure paths and limits are all correct?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

SqFCRa6DazEfApTjOOQEG1oRJuocfPO7
Type of error: Undefined
Notice: Undefined variable: attachment
/index.php?action=attachment;sa=ulattach;api;IsV7xrnZ=SqFCRa6DazEfApTjOOQEG1oRJuocfPO7;board=165
File: public_html/v2/sources/subs/Attachments.subs.php
Line: 438

Ooh I think this should help. Anw wow there is a 1.08? I thought it's going to be 1.1 straight haha.

Okay thanks :)
Facta, non verba.

Reply #8

Yay 1.08 is released! Hope you will have some time to spare to look into this. :)
Facta, non verba.

Reply #9

@emanuele not sure if you missed this one or haven't found the solution yet. Hehehe. Sorry if I am a bother. :p
Facta, non verba.

Reply #10

OMGOMGOMG I SOLVED THIS PROBLEM YAY!!!!!!!!!

Basically cause I imported from SMF to Elkarte using IMPORTER... I think there was an error somewhere, whereby in the attachment directories, they forgot to delete this setting "Base directory paths"..

So there was a "Base directory paths" as well as a "Attachment directory paths", as well as another 2 other data rows which were not present in a fresh install of an Elkarte 1.1....

So yeah just deleted those 3 entries and it suddenly worked!

Just logging here for future reference of anyone who migrated from SMF to Elkarte. :D
Facta, non verba.

Reply #11

Oh false alarm.. It has nothing to do with the import.

The precise problem is when the admin selects "(Auto) Subdivide by years" from "Choose the method for the management of the attachment directories". Then this happens......

Hope this helps to determine the fix for this problem in the future. But for now, I'll just stick with "manual" to enable it :)

Edit: Hmm.. I suspect this is a permissions setting... if anyone could help point out, which file is the one which "creates the new folders", then I think I can try setting the file to 777.
Facta, non verba.

Reply #12

I usually use 777 for folder and 666 for files. But someone somewhere did advise to use 770 and 660 as it is safer.

Reply #13

Ooh thanks. Do you happen to know which file does the "creating of new folders"? :(
Facta, non verba.

Reply #14

Quote from: ahrasis – I usually use 777 for folder and 666 for files. But someone somewhere did advise to use 770 and 660 as it is safer.

775 and  644 are normally considered safe. 777 if a security nightmare