Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot Get Vertification Captcha Working (Read 3889 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cannot Get Vertification Captcha Working

Reply #15

Quote from: smilieman – Ok, so nothing is returned in a browser.... but from the command line we get

yes gd

:)

The correct way to verify is in the elk site's ACP > Server Settings > PHP Info. This page will display info for the php version used by the site. Like eman says, it's possible your server has multiple php versions installed. Once the correct version is identified, also note in the same page the gd info. We can help walk you through the extension install, if need be. 

Reply #16

I'd say he doesn't have gd install for its web site php as the browser returns with nothing but I agree you should check in details as advised by @badmonkey.

If you have multiple php in your server, ensure the one you assigned to your web site has gd installed.

Reply #17

Well, that may be more up my street then!  I shall take a look, however I am getting the same issues on 3 different installations - 2 local (Windows & Debian) and one on my web host (Linux).

I shall confirm versions and run the code on all 3 see if anything pops out!

Cheers

Reply #18

Ok, so here's the verdict - I ran the script on all:

Webhost: phpinfo(): PHP 7.2.31, with gd support (2.1.0 compat.) - yes gd function exists

Local Windows:  phpinfo(): PHP 7.3.1,  with gd support (2.1.0 compat.) - yes gd function exists

Local Debian:   phpinfo(): PHP 7.4.5   with gd support (headers v2.2.5, library v2.24) - blank in browser, 'yes gd' (terminal window)
 - you correctly stated that there could be 2 PHP versions on this system, there are:

Code: [Select]
# apt show php -a

shows
    - php7.4
    - php7.0 - dependancy package for php7.4

To save confusion, I shall forget using the Debian local install as this could cause confusion.

Hope this helps put things into perspective - sorry for confusing things.

Cheers

Reply #19

And running the script from https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=5790.msg40890#msg40890 gives always the same result?
So nothing?

But... wait a moment, now that I re-read your reply I got a bit "worried":
Quote from: smilieman – Ok, so nothing is returned in a browser....
So you get an empty page, not even the "not gd"?
In that case, then, the problem could be different, it may be that get_extension_funcs is not provided by your php (or disabled for security?) and that part fails even before completing...

Could you please try this calling the script from your browser?
<?php

if (function_exists('get_extension_funcs'))
echo 'We have the function';
else
echo 'No joy, sorry';
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

Ok, so it turns out that the reason for nothing appearing in the browser was due to file-system permissions, where apache didn't have the right permissions to the folder, on the test system that I built - rookie error  :(  !  - This is now resolved and I now have browser output.

So, checkGD() on all installations - Win XAMPP, Debian & Webhost, now gives:
yes gd function exists

and, get_extension_funcs returns:
We have the function

So, worry not my friend  :)

So I take it that we now know that GD in installed, active and functional?

Cheers

Reply #21

Quote(PHP 7.4.5, GD 2.2.4, Debian: 9.12)
This.

1.1.x doesn't support properly 7.3 and above.
7.2 should work fine.

That said, the code has something buggy anyway, for example the admin panel for the captcha is broken. :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #22

Sooooo.....

Referring to the comment in one of my early posts as to whether the code I commented would actually break anything (https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=5790.msg40858#msg40858).....

Do we know if it would actually break anything?

I haven't come across any issues yet and everything seems to work fine, so hopefully it is ok....

Cheers