Skip to main content
Topic: Beta Release Update (Read 2070 times) previous topic - next topic

Beta Release Update

I noticed that they could be "errors" after an official update is released so, if it is not so much to the developers, I'd like to suggest to a beta release of an update before the official one so it could be tested before it is installed in production sites.

Re: Beta Release Update

Reply #1

It's not unusual that patches are tested.
IIRC, I sent you and few others the patch for testing (albeit just few hours before the release). Based on the feedback I got I decided it was good enough for release. I was wrong. On top of that I did a couple of mistakes myself while packaging and pushing the code to the repo.
There is to consider this was a kind of special case because of the security-related nature of the patch (and the need for me to release it within a certain schedule otherwise I didn't know when I was able to release it again... even though, I'm here trying to keep up with my mistakes during the patching anyway, so indeed a sub-optimal result). That said, a better release cycle is indeed needed and as I outlined few times there are a number of things that would help:
1) automated generation of the packages,
2) stop using patches for files and simply replace them (that would cut on 1, but of course it's not possible until the code doesn't allow to modify 95% of the behaviour without editing files, 1.1 is closer to that step, before final I would propose that at least controllers and probably most of the classes should be considered "not-editable" and as such allow ourself to overwrite the corresponding files with the new ones),
3) fully automated "build" generation (that's mostly done with 1.1 and the build.sh... on unix, any brave soul with a windows machine is welcome to write an equivalent build.bat),
4) something else that at the moment I can't remember.

Lot's of work to do.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.