Skip to main content
How can I reduce resources? Started by Hometutor · · Read 2373 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. previous topic - next topic

How can I reduce resources?

I'm using shared hosting and often going over my i/o limit. Is there a way to reduce my resource usage?

Rick

Re: How can I reduce resources?

Reply #1

Quote from: Hometutor – I'm using shared hosting and often going over my i/o limit. Is there a way to reduce my resource usage?

Rick

• Graphics and media are intense resource/bandwidth consumers. Start there.  As for "under-the-hood" stuff, I'll defer that to Spuds, etc..
  • This may help point you in some beneficial directions: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Performance/web_performance_basics
  • Try lots of "no follows" for the Webcrawlers.. - no point feeding them all your site pages, graphics, videos, etc..
  • Limit what guests can see..
Last but not least, see your logs and who your biggest users are and see what they are doing. If you don't like it, kick them off..  :imp: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #2

Is it a file I/O, database limit or a bandwidth?

If it’s database you can cache some results to remove the usage, if it’s file you can configure PHP-FPM to cache and optimise the PHP files. If it’s bandwidth make sure gz compression is enabled on all media files where pratical.

Reply #3

As others said, if its disk I/O then you need to reduce your reads/writes.  In no specific order, things to try, most of which were already recommended.

- no guests
- no bots or very limited access via permissions
- reduce attachment image sizes (there is an attachment image resizing addon)
- If you use a lot of images in your posts, lazy loading may help (there is an addon)
- use cache, especially if your host has apcu or memcache available.  If not and you have to use filebased, only do so if your host has enabled (or really not disabled) zend opcache.
- if your site has legit traffic, and you intend to grow more, a better hosting plan, or your own vps.