Skip to main content
Topic: Child Boards (Read 6564 times) previous topic - next topic

Child Boards

Please rename Chid Boards to Sub-Boards or add it as an option in one of the menu's. Being named child does cause some user concern and confusion.

Thanks,

John

elk.helmer.co
Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:14:44 pm by elk.helmer.co

Re: Child Boards

Reply #1

Here is a temp fix for those who want to change the name from Child Boards
Edit ./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php

Find:
$txt['parent_boards'] = 'Child Boards';

Replace With:
$txt['parent_boards'] = 'Sub-Boards';

It will be at line 620

John

Reply #2

Dunno in English, in Italian is always translated "Sotto-sezioni" (i.e. sub-sections) or "boards secondarie" (secondary boards) because "child boards" would be... unusual and long to explain.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Either of those (Sub Boards or Sub Sections) sounds better than what we have IMO

Reply #4

If you make that change, please don't just change the language string. Change the code to match it. Otherwise you'll have a lot of confusion when a new developer wants to change something.

Reply #5

Agree ... hope its not as much "fun" as when we changed member_stars to member_icons  ;D

Reply #6

It will be a pain. Child is referenced throughout several files. The easier solution maybe an option to change the language string to whatever the  user wants in the admin section. This also gives the admin more options as to what they want to call their Child boards.
Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:12:52 pm by elk.helmer.co

Reply #7

Quote from: elk.helmer.co – It will be a pain. Child is referenced throughout several files. The easier solution maybe an option to change the language string to whatever the  user wants in the admin section. This also gives the admin more options as to what they want to call their Child boards.
Eh, the admin easily has the option to do so in the language files.

Reply #8

Quote from: groundup –
Quote from: elk.helmer.co – It will be a pain. Child is referenced throughout several files. The easier solution maybe an option to change the language string to whatever the  user wants in the admin section. This also gives the admin more options as to what they want to call their Child boards.
Eh, the admin easily has the option to do so in the language files.

While this is true, most admins would not use that route. It would be much easier to just have an option in the admin section. Also, for different languages. No matter what choice is picked to replace Child Boards, different admins will want to call them something else. I for instance changed it to Sub-Boards.

I believe in the old principal "keep it simple stupid" which has always worked well for me.

John

Reply #9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ji-LXHZt4

;D

For 1.0 change everything seems a bit too much at that point TBH: all the strings in the languages, all the indexes of the language strings, the column(s ?) in the database, indexes of arrays, fields, etc....

I think change the strings for 1.0 and everything else for 1.1 could be an acceptable compromise.

emanuele 's 2 cents
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Had not looked at how entrenched that was in the code, sounds like a wait for 1.1, but agree we could just tweak the language strings for 1.0.
Quote It would be much easier to just have an option in the admin section.
You can go to Admin->Configuration->Languages->Edit which allows you to select the various language files and edit the strings directly in the admin panel without having to edit the .php files directly.  I think that's what groundup was referring to in his post.

Reply #11

Yep, any way of editing the language files is a much better option than adding another setting to change something which is rarely asked for and has a multitude of better ways of handling. Settings are complex enough without adding the language strings.

Reply #12

The UI is done.
1.1 will address all the code-related stuff.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.