Skip to main content
Topic: Is this project alive? (Read 12724 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Is this project alive?

Reply #15

Even on my forum (based on Elkarte 1.6) there's less activity if compared to 3 years ago. I assume it's a general trend.
Nevertheless I'm absolutely happy  of my migration from SMF to ELK.

Reply #17

It is not just a question of version numbers. Elk 1.1 is as advanced as SMF 2.1, because Elk 1.0 was forked from SMF 2.1 Alpha and then finished by the Elk team. Basically, Elk got to a final version 6 years earlier, from the same starting point. It has been developed further since then.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #18

Quote from: Antechinus – It is not just a question of version numbers. Elk 1.1 is as advanced as SMF 2.1, because Elk 1.0 was forked from SMF 2.1 Alpha and then finished by the Elk team. Basically, Elk got to a final version 6 years earlier, from the same starting point. It has been developed further since then.

My post was not about comparing SMF and ELK, but about possible migration from the SMF to ELK.
Why migrate from SMF to ELK if they will soon become similar. There will be no reason to do this.

Reply #19

Quote from: forumovod –
Quote from: Antechinus – It is not just a question of version numbers. Elk 1.1 is as advanced as SMF 2.1, because Elk 1.0 was forked from SMF 2.1 Alpha and then finished by the Elk team. Basically, Elk got to a final version 6 years earlier, from the same starting point. It has been developed further since then.

My post was not about comparing SMF and ELK, but about possible migration from the SMF to ELK.
Why migrate from SMF to ELK if they will soon become similar. There will be no reason to do this.

They won't be similar. For starters, elk has substantially cleaner code and file arrangement. Then there is support. People aren't essentially called stupid for asking basic questions here. Expanding on that, devs actually listen to user suggestion here, i.e. the other current thread regarding index page layout. Anyone can feel free to make those statements over on SMF. Let us know how that goes. Let alone the fact one of the elk leadership posed the question here. Don't forget mods. elk mods are mostly hook based. In fact most are purely hook based. How many can SMF claim are purely hook based? 

These are not trivial items.

Reply #20

Where is that bad karma or dislike feature? I simply couldn't find it to mark certain posts in here... :P

Reply #21

Quote from: forumovod – My post was not about comparing SMF and ELK, but about possible migration from the SMF to ELK.
You could say the same about most forum software. They all do much the same thing, and they're all pretty good at it. It comes down to personal preference.

I've been looking at both SMF 2.1 and Elk lately, because I'm thinking of switching a small site from phpBB to something else. With either SMF or Elk I can write just about any interface code I'll be wanting to write, so for me it will probably come down to which converter behaves the best. Both SMF and Elk advertise that they have awesome converters that make things easy for converting from phpBB, but in reality neither have been updated for some time and neither works all that well [1]. So I'll have to set up three test installations and find out which one works best, and how to fix it.

Anyway, converters aside, Elk's code base is currently in a better state than that of SMF 2.1. At this stage I don't know how long SMF 2.1 will take to get cleaned up and finished.

Quote from: badmonkey – They won't be similar. For starters, elk has substantially cleaner code and file arrangement. Then there is support. People aren't essentially called stupid for asking basic questions here.
Support is pretty good at SMF. I started there as a complete n00b (I'd never heard of PHP or CSS) and found that as long as you make some attempt to not be stupid, and have some patience, things go quite well. Yes, some of them can be a bit gnarly sometimes (and you rapidly learn their personalities) but even the apparently gnarly ones are basically decent people once you get to know them. It probably helps that I am perfectly capable of being thoroughly gnarly myself. :D

Quote from: badmonkey – Don't forget mods. elk mods are mostly hook based. In fact most are purely hook based. How many can SMF claim are purely hook based?

TBH I've found that hook-based mods can be as much of a PITA as the old style mods. Like any mods, they're all fine if you want exactly what the author wrote, and if you don't install any other mods that might conflict with them.

ETA: Oh the other point is PHP support. Both Elk 1.1 and SMF 2.0 will only run error-free up to PHP 7.2, and of course 7.2 is EOL at the end of November this year. Apparently 2.0.18 will be fine with anything up to PHP 7.4. I read the other day that, although the repo is not public, the code has already been sorted. As far as I know that puts SMF 2.0 ahead of Elk 1.1 in terms of PHP versions, which is something to consider.
(same applies to various converters to phpBB)
Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:23:30 pm by Antechinus

Reply #22

Quote from: badmonkey – Expanding on that, devs actually listen to user suggestion here, i.e. the other current thread regarding index page layout.

It's good.
But for migrating from SMF to ELK, it's important that Elk doesn't get stuck on version 1.1. My post was about this.
Is the next version of ELK being developed?

Reply #23

Quote from: Antechinus –
Quote from: forumovod – My post was not about comparing SMF and ELK, but about possible migration from the SMF to ELK.
  You could say the same about most forum software. They all do much the same thing, and they're all pretty good at it. It comes down to personal preference.

I've been looking at both SMF 2.1 and Elk lately, because I'm thinking of switching a small site from phpBB to something else. With either SMF or Elk I can write just about any interface code I'll be wanting to write, so for me it will probably come down to which converter behaves the best. Both SMF and Elk advertise that they have awesome converters that make things easy for converting from phpBB, but in reality neither have been updated for some time and neither works all that well [1]. So I'll have to set up three test installations and find out which one works best, and how to fix it.

Anyway, converters aside, Elk's code base is currently in a better state than that of SMF 2.1. At this stage I don't know how long SMF 2.1 will take to get cleaned up and finished.

Quote from: badmonkey – They won't be similar. For starters, elk has substantially cleaner code and file arrangement. Then there is support. People aren't essentially called stupid for asking basic questions here.
  Support is pretty good at SMF. I started there as a complete n00b (I'd never heard of PHP or CSS) and found that as long as you make some attempt to not be stupid, and have some patience, things go quite well. Yes, some of them can be a bit gnarly sometimes (and you rapidly learn their personalities) but even the apparently gnarly ones are basically decent people once you get to know them. It probably helps that I am perfectly capable of being thoroughly gnarly myself. :D

Quote from: badmonkey – Don't forget mods. elk mods are mostly hook based. In fact most are purely hook based. How many can SMF claim are purely hook based?

TBH I've found that hook-based mods can be as much of a PITA as the old style mods. Like any mods, they're all fine if you want exactly what the author wrote, and if you don't install any other mods that might conflict with them.

ETA: Oh the other point is PHP support. Both Elk 1.1 and SMF 2.0 will only run error-free up to PHP 7.2, and of course 7.2 is EOL at the end of November this year. Apparently 2.0.18 will be fine with anything up to PHP 7.4. I read the other day that, although the repo is not public, the code has already been sorted. As far as I know that puts SMF 2.0 ahead of Elk 1.1 in terms of PHP versions, which is something to consider.

We will have to disagree on that. I've witnessed too much beratement over there. I've even been the subject. Frankly it was the primary reason for coming here. The arrogance from some individuals oozes. 

Reply #24

Quote from: badmonkey –
Quote from: Antechinus –

We will have to disagree on that. I've witnessed too much beratement over there. I've even been the subject. Frankly it was the primary reason for coming here. The arrogance from some individuals oozes.

Why is there no quotation of the selected text? The smf 2.1 has this)

Reply #25

You can split quotes at the cursor, which is pretty handy. But I agree quoting only selected text would be useful too.

Reply #27

I hope this project is alive. The future needs it.

Reply #28

I don't think it's dead, but it is a bit worrying that the news fader is still advertising the 1.0 branch, which as far as I know has been EOL for years. I know it also advertises 1.1.6, but I do wonder about the 1.0 thing.