Skip to main content
Topic: Various feedback things (Read 2013 times) previous topic - next topic

Various feedback things

Been collecting some feedback, I won't bore you will all the good stuff, just the stuff we may need to address or not.  These are items that have come up on a couple of sites FWIW.

1) Contrast of text.
Most contrast ratios meet a 4.5:1 AA standard although we have a few the do fall outside of that.  On one site I tweaked it to AAA standards 7.5:1 for main text which received good feedback, perception of crisper fonts, etc (just change #666 to #555 or #444)
Our menu and linktree in light don't meet AA and probably should be fixed.  We have a few text areas that are also short of AA where #777 text should be changed to #666 to have a 4.5:1 ratio. 
I only looked at light, besocial has some similar contrast areas but perhaps just one of the themes having a "pass" contrast for web accessibility is enough. 

2) The D&D "Or select them"
That select text in the attachment D&D zone was a bit to hidden for some folks, so those using tabbies really need to be able to see this "button".    I added it to the input button defs which gives it a button look (no hover effects) which seemed to help.

3) The recent posts view
This area has some test css to force each post block to be the same height as well as limit quote blocks.  Feedback from those that use that view was not a thumbs up so I removed these lines.  Really if the post is over a couple of lines, that view is worthless, yet we spend the computation time to create it.
Code: [Select]
/* Test code - an attempt to make recent posts less overwhelming. */
#recentposts .inner {
height: 7.2em;
overflow: hidden;
resize: vertical;
position: relative;
}
#recentposts .inner blockquote {
height: 1.5em;
overflow: hidden;
}

4) I tend to not enable the "allow browsers to return" setting, so that when you hit back, you get the "new" and "counters" refreshed.  The side effect of this, well worst one of them I think, is not being able to return to the search results with the browser resubmit warning.   For now I did a
Code: [Select]
4) return to search results if "allow browsers to ..." is off
if (!empty($modSettings['databaseSession_loose']) || (isset($_REQUEST['action']) && $_REQUEST['action'] == 'search'))
header('Cache-Control: private');

Thats all for now !

Re: Various feedback things

Reply #1

2) Unfortunately, only people using tables are those that can better judge how things work best.. but having feedback is wonderful so that we can fix it! :D

3) It's one of those pages I never use... lol

4) hmm... search may take advantage of some kind of caching, I mean even only messages or topics ID stored in the session, so that a simple refresh on the same search results can just present again the same data?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Quote4) hmm... search may take advantage of some kind of caching, I mean even only messages or topics ID stored in the session, so that a simple refresh on the same search results can just present again the same data?
Yup all that does is allow the back button to work on the search results page even though you have set it in the ACP to NOT allow users to use the back button.

Its just a header the browser uses to know if it can go back and redisplay a cached page or if it should request the page again.  You can't request a results page again without re-submitting the form request again, and you can't do that unless you OK the form resubmission in your browser.  So if you don't allow the back button, search is an ugly experience.  This just makes it always act like you allow users to return to cached browser pages just for search.

QuoteIt's one of those pages I never use... lol
Me either, thats why its kind of broken :P

Reply #3

Here is the light css ..

This has the text darker to make it AAA compliant, and tweaks the green in the menu fades to be exactly 10% darker to make things at least AA compliant (well I should double check but, you know ... )

Anyway for feedback.

Reply #4

Did you upload it here?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

No .. want me to ?

Reply #6

Dunno, do you think it's worth a try?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Probably not ... its there if anyone wants to try it or if they get "its hard to read" feedback on the default theme.  The only thing I may PR is the recent views CSS removal since what that does is criminal.

Reply #8

LOL :+1:
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.