Skip to main content
Topic: RTL support (Read 10561 times) previous topic - next topic

RTL support

Still working on the rtl default template , finding other issues need to be fixed

1- first issue was that rtl support didn't work and i got this solution from @emanuele here
Quote change in your /themes/default/languages/arabic/index.arabic.php this string: to: $txt['lang_rtl'] = true;

2- In the mobile version using iPhone 5S,  logging in as a member with moderation rights , then reviewing any post , here you will find the dark background is extended wide to the left because of the hidden moderation buttons css :
div#moderationbuttons.hide_30.hamburger_30_target.visible is shifted to the far left

Code: [Select]
/themes/default/css/index.css:4836 @screen and (max-width: 30em)

.hide_30.hamburger_30_target {
    left: -9999px;
    position: absolute;
}

3- The jump-to drop down menu contains only the current page , no other choices to jump to, so its not working

4- there is no go-top/go-bottom button

5- no admin button

note: using screen rotation (portrait orientation) displays both buttons mentioned in 4 and 5 , so i suppose that both were skipped for smaller width , but i hope if there is an alternative for the up/bottom one

Re: RTL support

Reply #1

Quote from: sherif – 3- The jump-to drop down menu contains only the current page , no other choices to jump to, so its not working
@Spuds  sounds like the ios browser doesn't fire the "click" event?

Quote from: sherif – 4- there is no go-top/go-bottom button

5- no admin button

note: using screen rotation (portrait orientation) displays both buttons mentioned in 4 and 5 , so i suppose that both were skipped for smaller width , but i hope if there is an alternative for the up/bottom one
This.
The admin is not shown because the admin panel is not really that mobile-friendly.
IIRC the up/down buttons were removed because there were complains them being in the way? Or maybe my memory is wrong...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

update on this point:
Quote from: sherif – 3- The jump-to drop down menu contains only the current page , no other choices to jump to, so its not working

REopening the menu make it work , so you have to open then close then open again.

Reply #3

I see that RTL support isn't really getting enough attention here , i feel like a bug collector  >:(
but anyway here is another bug :
the attach button , doesn't work in elkarte default rtl template , to reproduce the issue in [this forum]  just switch page direction in your browser while you are on reply or new post , the hidden browse button is shifted to the left of the drop attachments area
Additionally the drag and drop will not work in [my forum]

Reply #4

Quote from: sherif – I see that RTL support isn't really getting enough attention here , i feel like a bug collector  >:(
Most likely those that tested it didn't see the problems. If you do not use the software every day in a certain condition is quite hard to spot the issues, and TBH, the RTL is not really something I can use for more than 15 minutes.
You are now testing it and reporting bugs, that's how it works. ;)

Quote from: sherif – the attach button , doesn't work in elkarte default rtl template , to reproduce the issue in [this forum]  just switch page direction in your browser while you are on reply or new post , the hidden browse button is shifted to the left of the drop attachments area
Additionally the drag and drop will not work in [my forum]
@Spuds I think the only way to have it overlap properly the a tag is to use some js trickery... do you have any idea? I gave it a try but could put anything together... :'(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: sherif – I see that RTL support isn't really getting enough attention here , i feel like a bug collector  >:(
ROFLMAO. So it's your turn, is it? Been there, done that. You have my sincere condolences.

Quote from: emanuele – @Spuds I think the only way to have it overlap properly the a tag is to use some js trickery...
I know I'm not Mr. Potato Head, but a simple RTL flip shouldn't require javascript. If you need RTL javascript I'd say something is wonky.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #6

Quote from: Antechinus – ROFLMAO. So it's your turn, is it? Been there, done that. You have my sincere condolences.
hmmm that doesn't sound good @Antechinus , so as a previous victim  ;D any idea how long would it take before the agony stops

Reply #7

Two options there:

1/ When you run screaming out the door.

2/ When the frigging thing gets to a stable release.

Reply #8

The problem is not just an RTL flip, the "click" area is actually a transparent input the if forced to overlap an a tag. The a tag contains the text, the input reacts to the click and does the upload.
The way it is currently (i.e. css) may break in any case the size of the string (either the one inside the a tag, or outside) is not similar to the original English one (if the text inside is larger then part of it will not overlap, if the text before is shorter it may not overlap, if it is too long it may overlap the wrong part, etc.).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Ah. Ok. Haven't ever looked at the code there. Sounds like a brittle solution though. Isn't there a cleaner way of doing it?

Reply #10

I'm sure there is a better way, but what that is I don't know.

I think originally we just had it as link text, but the issue was no one noticed it was a link and felt forced to use the D&D interface.  We made the current changes to make it look like a standard input button.  How it arrived at the current markup .... I may have been able to explain that 3 years ago but now I have no idea  .... I'm just a simple starch !

Reply #11

This is rather weird. needs head scratch smiley

Ok, so it's an input now, but originally was just an anchor? And an anchor can be styled just like an input, or like anything else for that matter, and being an inline element should automatically handle rtl languages and automatically adjust its length to suit whatever text for whatever language. So at the moment I don't see why there's a need to complicate matters. Has anyone tried it with just a suitably styled anchor lately?

Reply #12

You need the input to catch the "files" attribute and start the upload (I think), so you need the input, but you use the anchor to give it text and style.
Mostly guessing. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

But there aint no anchor there. I checked teh markups. :P

Ok, so you need the input. Righty. Then why did someone say it used to be a link? needs head scratch smiley again

I understand that file uploady stuff usually uses an input, so am not flabbergasted that one is necessary. I'm just sure (might be wrong, but don't think so) that there would be a way of incorporating the little mongrel without jumping through hoops.

I'll pig around with it on local and see if I can get it to behave.

Reply #14

Quote from: emanuele –
@Spuds  sounds like the ios browser doesn't fire the "click" event?
sorry to drop this in the middle of your geeky talk  :P

here an update on this other "previously reported issue" from chrome console , using mobile emulator :
1:
Clipboard02.png
2:
Clipboard01.png
Code: [Select]
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
getXMLDocument @ script.js:67
grabJumpToContent @ script.js:1087
onfocus @ VM1470 index.php?topic=18983.0:321