Skip to main content
Topic: Host upgraded PHP, unable to upgrade forum (Read 7946 times) previous topic - next topic

Host upgraded PHP, unable to upgrade forum

Hello,

we have ad a forum running for years at version 1.0.7. Now our host decided to upgrade PHP to v7.2.7 which is not compatible with elkarte and people cannot login due to sessions errors. I get the same when I try to access the admin panel.

So I attempted to upgrade the forum.
When I tried to update to Elkarte 1.1.5 I get error 500. The upgrade script seemed to work but clearly something is off. It also kept the backup_ database entries and kept the forum in maintenance mode (disabled that manually).

I then wondering if the jump in version was to big so I tried v1.1.0. But it still doesn't work. I get just a blank page now.

I am running simpleportal v1.0.0 Beta 1 and a custom theme of that makes a difference.

What can I do to move ahead? Should the upgrade of PHP before upgrading the forum cause issues?

Thanks.

Re: Host upgraded PHP, unable to upgrade forum

Reply #1

Hello,
Elkarte 1.1.x supports PHP 7.2, I am running 2 forums on php 7.2 and there are other people here running the same version.

I did not test an upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 using php 7.2. so cannot comment on this.

What errors do you have on your 1.1 forum? Something like this? (see the first attachment in the first post). Did you touched cookie settings on elkarte 1.1?

Try to access your forum in incognito mode, or clear your browser cookies and temporary files, then let us know if you still have problems to login to your forum.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

On v1.0.7 currently running what I get is "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again." when I try to login. Same in other browser or incognito.

When I tried to upgrade to 1.1.0 I just got a blank/white page on my forum. I didn't touch any settings.

Reply #3

White pages are due to an error indeed, though it's better to know the actual error.
Please try adding this at the beginning of index.php:
Code: [Select]
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', TRUE);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', TRUE);
you can add it just before:
require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/bootstrap.php');

This should allow you to see the actual error that is causing the issue.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Thanks.

require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/bootstrap.php');
is not there in 1.1.0. I am trying that version as the latest version gave error 500. Thought maybe the chance was better to understand the issue with 1.1.0.

However I found
$db_show_debug
in the index.php and if I set that true I get:

Notice: Undefined index: mark_as_read_confirm
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'Undefined index: mark_as_read_confirm' in /mnt/target04/862700/www.metabolomics-forum.com/web/content/sources/controllers/BoardIndex.controller.php:143
Stack trace:
#0 /mnt/target04/862700/www.metabolomics-forum.com/web/content/sources/controllers/BoardIndex.controller.php(143): error_handler(integer, string, string, integer, array)
#1 /mnt/target04/862700/www.metabolomics-forum.com/web/content/sources/SiteDispatcher.class.php(325): action_boardindex()
#2 /mnt/target04/862700/www.metabolomics-forum.com/web/content/index.php(291): dispatch()
#3 /mnt/target04/862700/www.metabolomics-forum.com/web/content/index.php(221): elk_main()
#4 {main}
thrown in /mnt/target04/862700/www.metabolomics-forum.com/web/content/sources/controllers/BoardIndex.controller.php on line 143

Does that help?

Reply #5

1.0 is not compatible with php7.2. Please use the latest ElkArte (1.1.15) if you are serious in using this software.

Upgrade paths / procedures were discussed before, please search for it. I think it should 1.0.7 > 1.0.10 > 1.1 branch.

Do try to remove install folder once you finished  or stucked as in some cases, it wasn't removed automatically after the installation being finished (or stucked) but should work after it is removed..

Reply #6

I have not been able to find any instructions for this. The update for 1.0.10 seems to use the "patch" way to install and doesn't have the upgrade script that 1.1.0 has. But it is impossible as I cannot access the admin panel.

Reply #7

Okay, so I guess we are looking at things with different expectations.
Please let's set a baseline.

So far I have understood that:
1) you have 1.0.10 that is not working because your host upgrade to php 7.2,
2) you have tried to run the upgrade but "at some point" you encountered a 500 error.

Am I correct up until here?
If so, when "exactly" have you encountered the 500 error? Before starting the upgrade? While performing the upgrade? After the upgrade was finished?
The procedure for the upgrade is detailed with not so many details here https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Update-and-Upgrade basically is:
1) download the upgrade package,
2) unzip,
3) upload overwriting the forum files,
4) go to the forum (you'll be redirected to "install/upgrade.php"),
5) follow the process,
6) delete the 2install" directory,
7) done.

Any more information would be helpful in helping you. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Ok. I am sorry if I didn't manage to describe what I did clearly.
So let me try to explain more systematically.

The current crippled setup is ElkArte 1.0.7 with SimplePortal 1.0.0 Beta 1. The symptoms are that people cannot login and get the session related error. I appear logged in and can browse the forum normally; I guess since I was already logged in before. However, I cannot access the admin panel because it requests a second login; if I try to do that login I get the session error too.

What I tried and the results are like this:
1.0.7 --> copy over all of 1.1.0 --> upgrade.php --> all is reported to succeed --> but "backup_" prefix and maintenance mode still in place --> white page, but with $db_show_debug on I get the errors shown below.

1.0.7 --> copy over all of 1.1.5 --> upgrade.php --> all is reported to succeed --> but "backup_" prefix and maintenance mode still in place --> error 500

Ahrasis suggested I try v1.0.10 but that doesn't use the install/upgrade.php route as far as I understood. You need to run the patch through the admin panel. This I cannot do since I can no longer login to the admin panel.

I hope this was more clear.

Reply #9

Okay, so now you have a 1.1.0 that gives the above error.
If so, follow these instructions:
1) rename the directory "sources" to "sources_old"
2) rename the directory "themes" to "themes_old"
3) re-upload the content of the install package
4) try to open the forum.
This will remove SP entirely, but you can install the RC later on.
I suspect it could be an hook from SP that is still in place and not finding some function needed.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Thank you very much! Deleting those folders allowed me to update --> 1.1.0 --> 1.1.5 and install SP again afterwards.

I understood correctly that I cannot use my old custom theme but should likely take an existing updated theme and customize again from there?

Reply #11

Just start customizing with custom.css, then ask in further if you don't quite understand. I think you should do just fine.