Skip to main content
Topic: quoting (Read 4531 times) previous topic - next topic

quoting

Not sure if it is intended or it's only me, but it seems that "at some point" the behaviour of "quoting" changed (at least here) and now when quoting a message, the first line of the quoted message is on the same line as the quote tag:
Code: [Select]
[quote author=Ice link=topic=834.msg5820#msg5820 date=1386780013]Surfing the forums just came on my mind that SMF and now ElkArte does not handle categories in a modern way.
instead "before" there was a line ending:
Code: [Select]
[quote author=Ice link=topic=834.msg5820#msg5820 date=1386780013]
Surfing the forums just came on my mind that SMF and now ElkArte does not handle categories in a modern way.
That second way was easier to copy and past the quote to split up the message... O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: quoting

Reply #1

Its changed many times, sometimes even for the better :P ... I think I caused this issue when I was chasing down our ability to endlessly add excess new lines to quotes and between quotes.

Reply #2

There is a bit of inconsistency, because quoting PMs has the "old" behaviour, while quoting posts has the new one.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

So which one is the "right" behavior, I'm not even sure anymore  :'(

Reply #4

The second one is the way post quotes were always done in SMF, and it does make splitting a bit easier.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

OK, probably just need to update the ajax quote response with a few newlines, not sure if any of the other quote areas are any different but I suspect they are all like the PM area.

Reply #6

Quote from: Antechinus – The second one is the way post quotes were always done in SMF, and it does make splitting a bit easier.
ctrl+enter. :P <= this must be more evident, but I have no idea how...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Antechinus – The second one is the way post quotes were always done in SMF, and it does make splitting a bit easier.
ctrl+enter. :P <=
this must be more evident,

See results above. It not working properly in teh Firefox.

What I did was highlight "it must be more evident". It should have dropped a closing and opening tag before that, and the same after it.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #8

You are using it wrong. :P

@Spuds...? O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Sorry, I have no idea what was expected by doing that  :-\

Reply #10

emanuele neither. lol

BTW, highlighting the text I would expect that it breaks either before or after, not at both points... I think.
Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:25:33 pm by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

That split is the default behavior of the editor insert command insert(start, end) ... its adds at the end of start and the beginning of end .. the general use is to highlight text and select a command like bold ... then that selection is wrapped in the tag.  We are using it in inverse of that,  closing any tags ahead of the section and then reopening them at the end of the selection. 

Of course we could split/close before, split/open after the selection points and wrap the selection as well.  Not sure what we wrap the selection with, I guess with whatever open tags there were at that point, but why would you do that?