Skip to main content
Topic: [1.0.6] Spellcheck function returns blank pages (Read 1972 times) previous topic - next topic

[1.0.6] Spellcheck function returns blank pages

This only seems to happen when the pages are requested through Nginx. It does not happen when the spell check function is invoked through a local command line instance, feeding in the parameters:

Code: [Select]
<?php

$_GET = array();

$_GET['debug'] = '1';

$_GET['action'] = 'spellcheck';

$_POST = array();

$_POST['spellstring'] = 'http|124|127
news|131|134
softpedia|136|144
com|146|148
news|150|153
zero-day-ffmpeg-vulnerability-lets-anyone-steal-files-from-remote-machines|155|228
shtml|237|241';
$_POST['fulleditor'] = false;

include 'index.php';

It may or may not be related to running PHP 7.0.2 on the server.

Re: [1.0.6] Spellcheck function returns blank pages

Reply #1

hmm...
Any error in any apache/nginx/server log?

That's again something @Spuds is expert about. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I do run Nginx for 3 forums and have not had any problems with spellcheck / pspell, (PHP 5.3 through 5.6, never tried 7.x though).

Since that's mostly JS  for spellcheck, are there any errors in the JS console or any of the consoles?

Does the spell check window open as expected and work as expected?

Is the issue after you finish spell checking and making the corrections and click OK?

Reply #3

The error is in the spell check page itself. I have that page up as test_10294.php on hydrogenaud.io root directory, and when it is retrieved, it returns an empty result.

I don't know if it's generating any errors, since the server log shows a 200 with a length of 5 returning for the request, nothing in the error log. Oh, and the code in Post.controller.php for the spell check even turns on buffering and disables error reporting around the part that initializes pspell, then turns error reporting back to its previous setting and discards the buffer.

Nginx does report in the error log a warning about writing something to a temporary file when this happens, but it discards the files when the buffer is cleared.

Reply #4

I really can't do much with that ( a blank page output) ... maybe post your full test script.

I assume you have it live on your system and its not working?  Is it defunct in all browsers?  You may have to place some debug statements in spellcheck.js to see whats returned since thats what gets reloaded back to the editor window, maybe there is an error at that point that will help with the debug.

Reply #5

That code block at the top of this topic is the full test script. All it does is set up $_GET and $_POST for the spellcheck function, which again returns an empty result through Nginx.

E: Disregard that. It started working after I restarted php-fpm. I guess the pspell extension doesn't pick up aspell dictionaries until it is totally restarted. (I didn't have any dictionaries installed, for some reason, because I didn't know the pspell extension required aspell dictionaries.)

Reply #6

At least its fixed and was not some odd 7.0x issue.