Skip to main content
Topic: improvement of smiley popup (Read 4176 times) previous topic - next topic

improvement of smiley popup

With a lot of smileys, especially animated, in the popup window the differentiation of smileys can be difficult. Where do one smiley end and another start? Not easy sometimes... I think it would be easier if the spacing would be greater or there would be small lines between them (as I made with the first line)... What do you think? Can you differentiate all smileys in my attached window?  ;)

Re: improvement of smiley popup

Reply #1

Quote Can you differentiate all smileys in my attached window?  ;)
I can, but only because I know where to look. More padding will work even with less smileys. I wonder if the smiley strip needs more padding, if only for mobile.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #2

Yep, agree.
With the current markup I don't think we can do much, one idea could be to add some padding and add an alternate background:
Code: [Select]
.sceditor-smileyPopup img:nth-child(odd) {
    padding: 5px;
    background-color: lightgrey;
}
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Hm, don't know, but is there a grid which sets the images into the window? If so, we could show the grid lines?

Reply #4

That's the reason I said "With the current markup I don't think we can do much". ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Not exactly what you are asking, have you seen this addon Jorin? Could be useful if you have lot of smilies
http://addons.elkarte.net/enhancement/Tabbed-Smileys.html
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – That's the reason I said "With the current markup I don't think we can do much". ;)

Okay, maybe in the future?

Quote from: radu81 – Not exactly what you are asking, have you seen this addon Jorin? Could be useful if you have lot of smilies
http://addons.elkarte.net/enhancement/Tabbed-Smileys.html

Thanks, radu, I know this addon, but we don't have too much smileys. Or do you think we have?  :D

Reply #7

Last I checked (in SMF years ago,probably changed) the (lack of) markup just puked naked images every which way.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #9

Quote from: Jorin – Hm, don't know, but is there a grid which sets the images into the window? If so, we could show the grid lines?
Not really, and thats the problem.  You could get a vertical line giving the image a border like:
.sceditor-smileyPopup img {
border-right: 2px solid #ccc;
vertical-align: middle;
padding-right: 10px;
}
but you will see the height of the vertical bar vary a bit with the image height, but it will at least give a bit of  a grid look.

Past that you need to use the code fix that emanuele just posted  :D , then you can do more with the CSS

Reply #10

I think I'll go with the lines, thanks @Spuds. If I remember correctly I can change the size of the pop-up window in a theme file and not the css file, right? It seems not to be in index.template.php nor in post.template.php. Any hints?

Reply #11

Quote from: Jorin – If I remember correctly I can change the size of the pop-up window in a theme file and not the css file, right?
I can't think of a good reason for that.
Looking at it, the only constrain on the width applied is a max-width: 50% applied to .sceditor-smileyPopup. So, if you want to have it larger you can add to your custom.css:
.sceditor-smileyPopup {
    max-width: 90%;
}
for example.
That should work, provided the smiley are enough to make it wide.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.