Skip to main content
Topic: upgrade notes, on options removed (Read 6910 times) previous topic - next topic

upgrade notes, on options removed

This ain't a bug report (proper), it's a note to keep track of upgrade. (It should be on github, too.)

1. I'm removing the option show_board_desc (profile -> show board description inside boards). I'm not removing it from the db while upgrading yet. I tend to think it's the kind of option that should be removed by a cleanup db, while upgrade might let it in place, for addons which would re-use it. Useless?

2. Same for show_children. (profile -> show child boards inside every board listing not just the first.)

3. Same for posts_apply_ignore_list. (profile -> hide posts from people on my ignore list.)

Where/if these options were in use, removing them during upgrade might not be the expected effect; people may want to use some replacement mod/addon, using that data. Rather, a cleanup script would be able to do it. Or, an option in the upgrade process?
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: upgrade notes, on options removed

Reply #1

Sounds like good thinking.

Question: what about this one? Feature removal! Yay!
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

Take it out during upgrade. It's going to be clutter and oddly placed otherwise.

Did the "hot topic" and "Very hot topic" nonsense get pulled out too?

Reply #3

QuoteDid the "hot topic" and "Very hot topic" nonsense get pulled out too?
Its still in the code with the option to base the "hotness" on the number of likes instead of posts ...

That said the default theme, to my knowledge, does not make use it.  So its available should a theme or mod writer want to make use of that information as part of the topic info array

If thats how its left the ACP should be updated a bit to reflect it as theme/mod dependent, or I suppose it could be removed as some have a tremendous emotional turmoil about the very existence of a >= comparator in the code ZOMG ZOMG

Reply #4

Eh, I'd argue that if you're not using it, remove it.

Reply #5

ZOMG  :P  

Yeah probably so, I  was looking for a cheap out as some addons / themes may have wanted that info, but they can add it back almost as easy anyway.

In this case I'll leave that removal for those that chose to stop using it, and therefore left all that stuff half arsed in the code (acp, icons, messageindex, likes, etc, you know the drill), don't want to steal the thunder joy of that removal as I've gots lots of other things to keep me busy for some time O:-)

Reply #6

"As powerful as possible, as complex as necessary." O:-)

Reply #7

That's pretty much common sense to any developer with a brain there Arantor. 
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #8

You'd think, wouldn't you? Yet how often is it really applied?

All too often things are made overcomplicated with too many unnecessary features, or made overcomplicated at the user's expense.

Reply #9

"If I only had a brain" :D
Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:40:43 pm by Spuds

Reply #10

haha nice avatar Spuds....

I think developers know it. It's just a matter of getting them to live by it.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!