Skip to main content
Topic: Elkarte Light has a funky button (Read 19492 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Elkarte Light has a funky button

Reply #15

:)   Yep, it is fixed, at least in FF 30. Have not tried IE yet.

I found a backup of my custom theme. I had changed the point, em/px, color and some borders on my linktree so yeah, the pointy thingy on mine is duller. Somewhere in those changes I resolved the artifact issue.

Reply #16

At the risk of tormenting you even more and incurring your wrath, there is still an issue in IE with a vertical border showing. Look at the last link in the attachment.

As far as Light goes, I do not think the border-right is really needed, however they are needed for the besocial variant. I think that I resolved that by doing border-right: none.

Feel free to slap me with some bad Karma if I have led you down the errant path.  :)
Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:57:41 pm by Aggelos

Reply #17

Well, that's interesting. I think it's the Windows DPI settings that caused the problem, definitely something to consider in the future for accessibility.

The problem seems to be mostly fixed now. The right edge of the final breadcrumb is a bit pixellated still, but there's no white lines.

Reply #18

Quote from: Aggelos – At the risk of tormenting you even more and incurring your wrath, there is still an issue in IE with a vertical border showing. Look at the last link in the attachment.

As far as Light goes, I do not think the border-right is really needed, however they are needed for the besocial variant. I think that I resolved that by doing border-right: none.

Darn, I hoped nobody would notice that one! :P
Yeah, I have seen it from time to time, but I can't really find why it appears... :-\

The border-right seems to be the one that creates the dark part of the point of the arrow.

Quote from: Aggelos – Feel free to slap me with some bad Karma if I have led you down the errant path.  :)
 emanuele is writing code for that beast, I'm already at the bottom of the pit! :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

Quote from: emanuele –
Darn, I hoped nobody would notice that one! :P
Yeah, I have seen it from time to time, but I can't really find why it appears... :-\

The border-right seems to be the one that creates the dark part of the point of the arrow.

You are absolutely correct about that. In the 'factory' Light theme the border-right does that. It also, as I recall, causes that ghost border to show up in IE and sometimes in FF depending on background color and hover color. I sent you a file that shows how I got around that issue. The method I used may seem a bit ugly for your taste but it does work quite well at all zoom levels and there is no border ghosting in IE or FF.

However, everytime I tell you something like that ... you prove me wrong.   ;D

Reply #20

I did another tweak to the linktree css here on the forum.
Sometimes it looks better, sometimes it doesn't (I have artefacts in firefox at 110% zoom on some random places (e.g. here at elk.net it appears on the board name, on my localhost it appears on some topic names, it's inconsistent).
Let me know how it is now. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

For all intent and purposes I would say it is all good.  It worked perfect to the 'blind as a bat' zoom in FF 30 and IE 11. Just as important the linktree behaved the same on zoom in and zoom out. In the past it would get wonky and show artifacts at various links.

The only thing I saw odd was at the last link, where the point meets the top and bottom of the link bar, you will see where the transition is not smooth. Not real noticable at the zoom levels used by most and even when noticed, it does not look out of place. Looks like that is what you intended.   :)

From what I have seen, this appears to be fixed. At least on my PC and monitor.

Reply #22

Quote from: Aggelos – The only thing I saw odd was at the last link, where the point meets the top and bottom of the link bar, you will see where the transition is not smooth.
Added yet another tweak that should mask a bit better that one as well. Not 100% perfect, but a bit better.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #23

Small bump, can you please have a look at the who page here http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=who and tell me if you see anything wrong?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

It depends if page is zoomed in or out (1 is regular size, 2 is 110%, 3 is 125%):

Reply #25

Moving this back to a bug.  Although I was never able to see the problem, now I do at normal and at the first couple of zoom levels :P

On my local I did a change that in quick testing seems to fix the issue, but then again I was never able to reproduce the problem originally.   At the crux of it is (I think) the use of em sizing on the linktree.  I moved all of that to PX which holds together until you really zoom in a lot.  em sizing does depend on font size and os installed fonts, so it can in some cases get a bit odd and I think using it on those borders is causing it to be flaky in some cases.  Of course that could be all BS as well :P

I have the tweaks on http://elkarte.spudsdesign.com/community if anyone that was having the problem could check if that helps at all.

Reply #26

@Spuds , looks fine for me now :)

Reply #27

lol
Back to the future! :P

I moved to em because it seemed to fix some, then at some point I probably moved on more than necessary.
At the moment I see it basically everywhere, but since I'm a minority (Linux+FF-derivative) I didn't consider it a problem.

Up to you guys now!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #28

Which derivative ?  I checked in unix (chrome and Fx) and did not see the problem .... good grief lol

ETA: currently I see it on windows 7 with fx at normal plus next two zoom levels, but in chrome its fine until zoom level 3 then I see them (on this site not the test site)
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:40:25 pm by Spuds

Reply #29

The other alternative is to not play the css game and just use an image (data url), probably save page space as well  O:-)