Skip to main content
Topic: Linktree text overflows box (Read 6335 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Linktree text overflows box

Reply #15

Quote from: Spuds – Ah scratch that, thats what messes up the reply page :P ... cut me Mick, cut me !
Yep, that's what brought me to raise this from the dead.  Noticed the same issue with my initial fix.

Haven't looked at ema's latest.  If you want to change source you could have made the extra before and extra after or whatever be just text inside the link.  Then the reply page would work.

Reply #16

May give that a whirl, I think thats what ema's fix does anyway.  Of course just being on the link diminishes what you can do with them past just plain text. 

Then again those before and after are used a total of 3 times! (2 before's and 1 after) so not super important, kind of seem like leftovers really.  One adds a count after the text, the other adds Post Reply (  ... and a trailing )

I guess if ema's fix works and it leaves some flexibility in place thats cool, otherwise I'd say remove them as sillly.

Reply #17

I think that is on the site now and the problem on the reply screen is that it still wraps across 3 rows,  A couple of attempts to get it inline result in the overflow text.  There may be a magic css bean to fix this but it I can't find it.

I think the options are
1) move the text to the link text (does remove special styling capability)
2) To me if we do the above, then simply remove the extra_before extra_after and simply add the text to the 'name' tag.  Those extra_ are only used in two places.
3) Since long link titles are ugly anyway, util:shorten-text on the post screens, the information in the link is redundant anyway

Reply #18

Yeah, mine to work needs (still, at least, unless I missed something... LOL):
Code: [Select]
display: block;
max-width: 25em;
overflow: hidden;
on the additional span.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

Give it a shot on the site, easier to test :D

Reply #20

I replaced:
.linktree:last-child {
}
with:
.linktree:last-child>span>a {
display: inline;
}
.linktree:last-child>span {
}
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Looks good to me  :)

Reply #22

I'm not sure I got all the changes exactly as you have them.  I added the extra span to index.template.php and put these in index_light.css

.linktree:last-child>span>a {
  display: inline;
}
.linktree:last-child>span {
  max-width: 100%;
  text-overflow: ellipsis;
}

Using max-width:100% seems to still shorten it correctly but lets it go long if the screen can hold it.  (Well, I didn't try the single word long title) and the ellipsis is just for style.

And the change I had suggested have been removed entirely.

Is that correct?

Reply #23

Seems to be working.  Good job.  Thanks.

Reply #24

Quote from: scripple – Using max-width:100% seems to still shorten it correctly but lets it go long if the screen can hold it.
I tried 100%, I personally didn't like that much the title go on the second line if too long, so I reverted to 25em just to have something shorter.

Quote from: scripple – And the change I had suggested have been removed entirely.

Is that correct?
Yep, I think so. Even though I lost a bit track of all the versions. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

Ok.