Skip to main content
Using Gmail for the admin account? Started by Hometutor · · Read 3366 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. previous topic - next topic

Using Gmail for the admin account?

Has anyone tried this? I can actually send more emails through Gmail than I can my hosting's email service. My host also turned off PHPmail for "security reasons" so I'll be setting it up as SMTP.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

Re: Using Gmail for the admin account?

Reply #1

Yes. That is possible. You'll to create it as app access though.

Reply #2

Should be able to do that just fine (have to set up your app / permissions on gmail) as @ahrasis says.

I don't think you can set Gmail as an authorized agent for your site, so email will come from BobsYourUncle@gmail.com

Probably not really a security concern that you host has, more the overall hassle and time of supporting email.

Reply #3

Folks I've tried everything I can

Current settings
Queue enabled
smtp.gmail.com
Client My email @gmail.com
port 465
StartTLS is unchecked my research indicated gmail may not support it though it does support TLS
Username My email @gmail.com
App password
App password

Tested working at https://www.gmass.co/smtp-test

Registration emails however are not being received.

Any thoughts?

Rick

Reply #4

Gmail apparently requires email "clients" to be registered with them and validated as OAUTH2 compliant (with their interpretation of OAUTH2). This is a relatively new 'thing' with them, and apparently their 'compliance' standards are unique in that regard. I'm not sure this is your problem, but it's entirely possible Gmail isn't going to work as a mail handler for ElkArte .

(IMHO, not having gmail as your mail handler is not a bad thing..)

You might check this thread since Denis just got SendGrid working...

Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 04:39:15 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #5

If I remember correctly, one must choose unsafe / unsecured in google account settings to make it work with gmail. Also try using port 587 instead.

About the client id field issue mentioned in other thread relating to sendgrid, I don't think it is relevant with google mail account, but I haven't tested this recently either.

Reply #6

Quote from: ahrasis – If I remember correctly, one must choose unsafe / unsecured in google account settings to make it work with gmail. Also try using port 587 instead.

About the client id field issue mentioned in other thread relating to sendgrid, I don't think it is relevant with google mail account, but I haven't tested this recently either.

Thank you, I thought I'd read something about this

"Less secure apps & your Google Account
Starting on September 30, 2024, less secure apps, third-party apps, or devices that have you sign in with only your username and password will no longer be supported for Google Workspace accounts. For exact dates, visit Google Workspace Updates. To continue to use a specific app with your Google Account, you’ll need to use a more secure type of access that doesn’t share password data. Learn how to use Sign in with Google.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.'

Rick

Reply #7

Good observation. So that means less secure apps solution no longer works.

I surfed and could not see any solutions offered except some say to try port 587. Try reading this for more, especially if you expect more than 5000 emails per day:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126?hl=en&ref_topic=1354753&sjid=12510025432971132381-AP

Reply #8

Quote from: Hometutor –
Thank you, I thought I'd read something about this

"Less secure apps & your Google Account
Starting on September 30, 2024, less secure apps, third-party apps, or devices that have you sign in with only your username and password will no longer be supported for Google Workspace accounts. For exact dates, visit Google Workspace Updates. To continue to use a specific app with your Google Account, you’ll need to use a more secure type of access that doesn’t share password data. Learn how to use Sign in with Google.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.'

As what I feared...  :nerd:

Cool, so GOOGLE just forbids anyone from signing into a Gmail account unless they are using a "GOOGLE-specification" OAUTH2-compliant secure client...    :rolleyes:
That wouldn't be so bad if they used the same "secure" criteria as everyone else, but nooo... [quote OUR Security Standards unquote] they're GOOGLE, your client must meet their unique standards, in addition to everyone else's.

So Google joins Apple in becoming The Platform For The Rest Of Them[TM] (You must use only zee programz we approve and allow!) :zany_face:

BTW, I believe this will also apply to email you want to send to a Gmail account, not just log into a gmail account.. if the email didn't originate from an approved client, off to bit heaven it will go.. (I do not think SPF/DKIM/TLS by itself is going to be sufficient for email to Google , if now, certainly not for long .. )

For the record, EA works fine and will continue to work fine if your own host's mailserver supplies SPF or DKIM (and most should, and do) - since your host's mailserver knows the mail is coming off its own box.. I certainly wouldn't want to press for EA to dive into that black hole and try to accommodate that function on its own.
Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:51:41 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //