Skip to main content
Topic: Elkarte SPF Check Fails  (Read 723 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Elkarte SPF Check Fails

When receiving emails from Elkarte it fails on the SPF check and ends up in the Spam folder for me.

QuoteARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning noreply@elkarte.net does not designate 85.214.104.5 as permitted sender)

Looking up the SPF record it has the following;

QuoteA/AAAA - elkarte.net
81.169.195.150
2a01:238:4314:e100:cedb:b036:466d:c9b1
MX - elkarte.net
s3.eurich.de - 81.169.195.150
s3.eurich.de - 2a01:238:4314:e100:cedb:b036:466d:c9b1

I think it needs to be updated to have the other domain/IP in it's configuration so that's also allowed. As the IP resolves to s2.eurich.de not s3.eurich.de

Re: Elkarte SPF Check Fails

Reply #1

Well, interesting! Thanks for the report.

The existing SPF record simply had MX and A records as allowed to send.  I'm guessing when @TE setup the new server he chose to use the old servers mail so he did not have to enjoy the fun associated with a new IP address and mail reputation.  I just went through this and it took weeks to get a the new IP address clear even though it was all SPF/DMARC/DKIM/RDNS/Virus scan valid mail.

So I've added s2.eurich.de as a designated sender (in addition to the current mx / a which point at s3.)  I could probably just point the mx record to s2.eurich.de ip address, but this should work fine.

Code: [Select]
v=spf1 a mx a:s2.eurich.de ~all

I just gave it a quick test and it seems to give an spf:pass result now

 

Re: Elkarte SPF Check Fails

Reply #2

Oh joy emails! :D