Skip to main content
Topic: Minor css tweak (Read 8132 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Minor css tweak

Reply #15

Here' a picture of the problem.

Reply #16

Okay, that's pretty odd: I understand why it should happen, and the fix should simply be:
Code: [Select]
	dd .styled-select {
width: 90% !important;
max-width: 90% !important;
}
dd .styled-select select {
width: 100% !important;
max-width: 100% !important;
}
Though the odd thing is that I can't reproduce it... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Well that's picture was produced from a slightly older pull from the master.  I don't think anything has changed that should make it vanish though.

Reply #18

Ooops, sorry I didn't see the picture (it was in page 2 and I answered from page 1... :-[).
I was referring to the last post of the previous page.
Anyway, I've never seen the "jump to" like that...
Here it aligns right and if the board names are long it goes slightly out on the left.
Though I'm not sure this can be fixed with CSS alone... :-\
But of course I may be badly wrong as usual. LOL

But now another funny question: why the jump to is not there for guests? :P
 emanuele feels this is a bug. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

Does anyone ever use the jump to? I've never used it apart from testing, and it's always been a PITA. I've ditched it from custom SMF interfaces and never received even one complaint.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #20

Well this isn't a custom theme, just a pull from master with your changes applied.  Without the changes it looks normal.  That's why I'm saying the changes break it.

And I also was surprised it was not there for guests.  And I also never use it.  And why is there a "Go" button after the select when changing the select actually cause the go to to happen automatically.  The "Go" button is only useful to going to the page you're on.

Reply #21

Proposal: ditch the silly thing. Easy to do. Saves trouble. Saves code. Nobody will miss it.

Reply #22

Fine with me.

Reply #23

Ok, so everyone is agreed then. :D

Reply #24

Some odd things in poster area in display.

.poster has a min-width but not a width, so long names (even ones that area easily wrapped) push the poster area way out into the post itself.

And once that is fixed by adding a width to it, the names will be clipped no wrap because they're links.  So I added white-space: normal and word-break: normal to them so that names would wrap.

I think there's a media query that sets a smaller min width like 10em instead of 15em.  It should also probably get a width.  What am I missing that it is min-width instead of width in the first place?

Reply #25

IIRC there was an ellipse or something on the names a while ago, if you are reporting that it was probably removed, maybe unintentionally...

Maybe @TE remembers something? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #26

There is an overflow hidden on some element that will clip names short, but only if you set a width.  With just a min-width the area just expands to fill the name.

The changes other than setting a width were to make names with white space wrap rather than get cut off.

I did have to add width:auto to .poster in the first media query and white-space:nowrap to the name to keep the mobile one line poster display working after my other changes to help desktop mode.

Reply #27

Nope, don't remember but I'd simply hide that jump to for the related media query. 
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #28

I meant the width of the username. :P
No problem, I'll try to figure out what the issue is (unless someone else beats me).
It looks like the same as:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1216.0
and this as well:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1275.0
Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:48:26 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #29

Quote from: TE – Nope, don't remember but I'd simply hide that jump to for the related media query.
Seriously, why keep the jump to at all? It seems like an ideal opportunity to get rid of useless code.

Re the username: it will need either break-word or ellipsis text overflow. IIRC it had one or the other originally. Will have to look at my old builds on local.