Skip to main content
Topic: Menus menyooz munyews - them things with all teh linkys in 'em. (Read 17628 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Menus menyooz munyews - them things with all teh linkys in 'em.

Reply #15

Oh that. Well I think it's good to have some hover indication of a link's target area. All the other buttons do it, whether they have a drop menu or not. Personal preference, I suppose.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #16

Btw, Bikken took a look at the guinea pig theme and rather liked the click menus. Said he wouldn't mind if they were default. ;)

Also, re a11y, I made this comment to him:

QuoteWhat I think I will do is declare doctype as HTML5, and use some of the WAI-ARIA roles* to improve a11y for screen readers. That way any click drops can have aria-haspopup="true" on the triggers, which means display: none; is no longer a problem for screen readers.

They effectively get the same indication that a sighted user would get, so using display: none; on the drops becomes an advantage for them. They can open it if they want to, but if they don't want it open they don't get all the sub menu links shoved at them.

*Very good browser support for these. Even IE8 supports them. :)

Now this is for my guinea pig, so I'm not saying we absolutely have to go HTML5 doctype for default. The ARIA stuff can still be used with a transitional doctype. It will show validation errors, but they wont have any ill effects. Browsers that don't support the properties (and that's only really old ones) will just ignore them without breaking anything.

We could also append the ARIA stuff to the DOM by using js, if we want to avoid validation errors with a transitional doctype, but frankly I'd prefer to just put them in the markup and be done with it.

Reply #17

Spuds has no idea what the you are talking about  :D
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:15:07 am by TestMonkey

Reply #18

emanuele doesn't feel lonely any more. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

Ok, if you want it in plain English: this thing is really good for blind people.

Happy now?
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:19:11 am by TestMonkey

Reply #20

I agree with click buttons, however I think it would be good to add arrows next to the text so people know there are items under it. Just saying what I think. ;D
Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:06:01 pm by Dr. Deejay

Reply #21

Quoteclick menus

:(
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #22

Sorry, didn't know how to call them. :P But I meant I agreed with what Antechinus suggested. :)

Reply #23

No, no, you have nothing to be sorry about! :) On the contrary - anyway Ant called them this way too.

What I meant is...

TestMonkey likes hovers... but is alone on this and runs runs runs to hide from Ant's grumbling. :)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #24

It seems that at least google interface is all "click-to-drop", not "hover-to-drop", don't know about facebook.

Probably people are becoming used to that...also all computer programs use clicks and not hovers...it's not unnatural...(and I like hovers!)

emanuele doesn't like the lacks of resize of SCEditor textarea...
 emanuele takes note for another thing to fix the moment he will find a bit of time to learn again SCEditor... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

I prefer hovers as well, just faster to navigate, and the hover intent ones are a lot less jittery  ... I can live with the compromise that FF did with click to enable the menus but then you can go from tab to tab with a hover as well ...

One thing you seem to give up with the click menus is the top menu click, so there is no action associated with say Admin or My Messages ... you must click in and then click again to get anywhere.

Anyway just one of those personal preference things .. I'm sure its more PC to like click menus so for that reason alone I will say I hate them :P

Reply #26

No. You can still use the top level link. Right click > open in new tab (or however you like).

TBH in testing I was finding that the click menus were not really slower to navigate, much to my surprise. You have to click, but you do not have to wait for hoverIntent or anything else. Net result is more actions but no loss of speed, and the cleaner and simpler code is a bonus that gives smoother rendering/less overhead. Really, you have to try both in intensive use for a week or so to get a good comparison.

Having done that, I'm personally sold on click-to-open, but it would be possible to have click or hover selectable as a user option if you really wanted to.

Reply #27

Thought of something else, apart from the click vs hover biz.

Generally, it's considered best practice to not have too many buttons in the main menu. This comes back to how many thing humans can easily hold in their awareness at the same time. The figures I've seen often recommend no more than six top level buttons.

So, are we going to just stick with the age-old spewing out of more buttons as more features are enabled?

In my experience the calendar and memberlist (just to take two random examples) are rarely accessed, but quite useful to have nonetheless. These would be ideal candidates for inclusion in a second level droppy.

Reply #28

http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=95.msg611#msg611 .... but it was more than a few posts ago, thats why you can't remember :P

Seems like we could consolidate the menu to de-clutter the area, that way mods have more room to spew out new options.  Be nice if we included a menu editor so folks could simply put stuff where they want and in the order they want.  (like they can do with the board layout/child boards etc)

Reply #29

Yeah a menu editor would rock, if you can get it bug-free by March. :D