Skip to main content
Topic: Quote too short (Read 2465 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Quote too short

Reply #1

This is what I see quote.jpg is this what everyone else is seeing?  (note I'm on the theme20 test theme)

Reply #2

This is what I see   ss1.jpg   (when the quote is expanded -> "Read More") -
I'm using the default theme

Not much additional is revealed when you go to read more - like, almost 1 more line.. but not all the quoted lines.

Now, if you quote the reply, you DO see all the quoted text ... until you post it, and then. what is allowed to be displayed is cut off again.
(Don't pay attention to the quote in my reply post to that post, I edited it to try to have the quote display just what I was seeing in your post, and I have no idea if I 'did it right" since the nested quote of your quote now doesn't appear at all. Could be my edit, could be the quote window size, could be it doesn't like to display nested quotes., could be anything ... and probably is... I didn't try to "correct it" - in case it was my edit - if it wasn't going to display anyway..
HOWEVER - if you quote my post, you can see the text as I edited it and I'll leave it up to you to decide if it shoulda or shouldn'ta posted the way it did - I don't see what I did is causing additional untoward behavior
.)

Hmmmm... maybe a quick fix is to relabel the quote button to say "See entire text of quotes in this post". :D

(Yes, I do have an old pair of jeans that are no longer actually jeans, nothing original left - just all the patches held together by other patches I slapped on them over the years..)
Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 02:26:45 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #3

Now I got it ! Say did anyone else realize that is broken ?  :head_bandage:
Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:01:35 pm by Spuds

Reply #4

Quote from: Steeley – This is what I see   [attach type=thumb]9974[/attach]  (when the quote is expanded -> "Read More") -
I'm using the default theme

Not much additional is revealed when you go to read more - like, almost 1 more line.. but not all the quoted lines.

Now, if you quote the reply, you DO see all the quoted text ... until you post it, and then. what is allowed to be displayed is cut off again.
(Don't pay attention to the quote in my reply post to that post, I edited it to try to have the quote display just what I was seeing in your post, and I have no idea if I 'did it right" since the nested quote of your quote now doesn't appear at all. Could be my edit, could be the quote window size, could be it doesn't like to display nested quotes., could be anything ... and probably is... I didn't try to "correct it" - in case it was my edit - if it wasn't going to display anyway..
HOWEVER - if you quote my post, you can see the text as I edited it and I'll leave it up to you to decide if it shoulda or shouldn'ta posted the way it did - I don't see what I did is causing additional untoward behavior
.)

Hmmmm... maybe a quick fix is to relabel the quote button to say "See entire text of quotes in this post". :D

(Yes, I do have an old pair of jeans that are no longer actually jeans, nothing original left - just all the patches held together by other patches I slapped on them over the years..)
Should be fixed now .... lets quote and see!

Reply #5

And .... while fixing this I realized why I had caused the error to begin with

I had changed the created quote markup (what broke the ability of the CSS to do its thing) so read more on nested quotes worked. So I had to fix things so those worked with the markup that works best for the CSS only solution.

But the good news is, I realized that the way the code was, some miscreant (you know, a typical internet user) could have separated each letter with a newline and still have made a fairly lengthy quote.  Now they can't :D

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – Now I got it ! Say did anyone else realize that is broken ?  :face_with_headbandage:

I didn't notice it until looked at what was posted vs what I received in email..

Checked the other posts and .. yea verily it looks like you fissed it.   righton.jpg

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #7

As an aside, can I disable that read more thing somewhere in my profile or something?

Reply #8

HA .. No.   I suppose It could possibly add that as an CSS override.  We could add a site wide option in the Admin panel, along the lines enable/disable and fine tune with max characters before the fade (for themes that choose to support the feature)