Skip to main content
Topic: Elkarte SPF Check Fails  (Read 429 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Elkarte SPF Check Fails

When receiving emails from Elkarte it fails on the SPF check and ends up in the Spam folder for me.

Quote
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning noreply@elkarte.net does not designate 85.214.104.5 as permitted sender)

Looking up the SPF record it has the following;

Quote
A/AAAA - elkarte.net
81.169.195.150
2a01:238:4314:e100:cedb:b036:466d:c9b1
MX - elkarte.net
s3.eurich.de - 81.169.195.150
s3.eurich.de - 2a01:238:4314:e100:cedb:b036:466d:c9b1

I think it needs to be updated to have the other domain/IP in it's configuration so that's also allowed. As the IP resolves to s2.eurich.de not s3.eurich.de

Re: Elkarte SPF Check Fails

Reply #1
Well, interesting! Thanks for the report.

The existing SPF record simply had MX and A records as allowed to send.  I'm guessing when @TE setup the new server he chose to use the old servers mail so he did not have to enjoy the fun associated with a new IP address and mail reputation.  I just went through this and it took weeks to get a the new IP address clear even though it was all SPF/DMARC/DKIM/RDNS/Virus scan valid mail.

So I've added s2.eurich.de as a designated sender (in addition to the current mx / a which point at s3.)  I could probably just point the mx record to s2.eurich.de ip address, but this should work fine.

Code: [Select]
v=spf1 a mx a:s2.eurich.de ~all

I just gave it a quick test and it seems to give an spf:pass result now
Be safe, Be kind, Happy Programing

 

Re: Elkarte SPF Check Fails

Reply #2
Oh joy emails! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.