Skip to main content
Topic: change default for notification settings (Read 1781 times) previous topic - next topic

change default for notification settings

We are about to roll out our ElKarte based neighborhood forum. I want to change the default of the notification settings (/index.php?action=profile;area=notification) for newly registered users. I looks like the admin interface does not allow that.

I would be very grateful if someone could point me to the piece of code too look at, so I could patch that. Thanks!

Re: change default for notification settings

Reply #1

Hi hvwaldow and welcome to elkarte.net. :)

If we are talking about 1.0, the admin interface for most of these notifications is in configuration > theme management  > member options.
Then you can pick the option you prefer (set new defaults, change current members, etc.).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Emanuele, thanks a lot. Also for this great software, it's not like we picked something at random :). We are running 1.0.9.

configuration > theme management  > member options. gives me
Turn topic notification on when you post or reply to a topic

which is good but not everything I want. What I want is notifications about any posts in any board as default. I guess that corresponds to populating log_notify with one line per board per new user upon registration.

We believe that is essential in the beginning to get a critical mass of activity on the forum. And users who figured out how to turn this off have had their little forum-usage teaching ;).

Reply #3

Ahh... okay, that one.
Well, at the moment there isn't a setting (AFAIR but maybe I forgot something... @Spuds you were working on mailing list and alike, did you add anything by chance?).

Assuming there is nothing, I would attach to the integrate_register_after hook a function similar to:
Code: [Select]
function turnOnAllBoardsNotifications($regOptions, $id_member)
{
require_once(SUBSDIR . '/Boards.subs.php');
$boards = getBoardList(array(
'override_permissions' => 1,
'not_redirection' => 1), true);

foreach ($boards as $val)
{
setBoardNotification($id_member, $val['id_board'], true);
}
}
Of course, this approach has a small limitation: if you create a new board, members will not have the notifications turned on for that board.
But... well, for now I guess it's the best you can get. :(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

There is not a default option for that, you would have to, as shown above,  manually set a default for them.

Reply #5

Ok guys, thanks a lot. No problem with new boards - this  is just supposed to be a pretty aggressive temporary kick-off measure :).

I'll let you know how it goes.