Skip to main content
Topic: Forum width (Read 3127 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum width

I used the search option with the word "width" as key, but did not find anything I would like to refer now.

One question: is it possible to reduce the distance between the two arrows? I tried to set the forum width also to a value of 150% but without chance (so I thought it is not possible to enlarge more, but I wanted to be sure ;) ).

Re: Forum width

Reply #1

Quote from: Enrico – I used the search option with the word "width" as key, but did not find anything I would like to refer now.

One question: is it possible to reduce the distance between the two arrows? I tried to set the forum width also to a value of 150% but without chance (so I thought it is not possible to enlarge more, but I wanted to be sure ;) ).

Thanks!

Reply #2

The with is in the theme options (you can use admin > config > current theme).
Though, take in consideration that being the theme "responsive" that value will likely work (I don't remember exactly the code) just for screens wider than 1024px.

That said, at "very high" resolutions (IIRC > 1280px wide) there is a "max-width" setting that to help avoid the body of the forum to become too wide, because that would make less easy to read the content (think about moving the eyes from right to left without missing the exact line you are aiming at, it's easy if the area you are reading is not too large, but after a certain threasold it becomes more difficult).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Thanks for your reply Emanuele.
So, if I understood well, the 100% in my 1920x1080 screen is the max width I can obtain, in order to improve the legibility, correct?

Reply #4

You can override this behavior by editing your index.css file.

Currently when you set your forum width in the template settings, 100% will work up to 90em which is 1260px in this case.  This means on a 1920 screen even at 100% the forum is still forced to be only 1260px wide.  If you want to remove that limitation,  do the following:

Find
Code: [Select]
.wrapper {
margin: 0 auto;
/* Next controls forum width, when it is not set in admin. */
max-width: 90em;
/* Next limits maximum width on wide screens. */
/* Sized in em, since some people require larger text. */
/* For ease of reading, content really should not be too wide. */
width: 90%;
}

Replace with (just delete the max-width line)
.wrapper {
margin: 0 auto;
}

Reply #5

Thank You!

This evening I will try for sure! ;)

Reply #6

Better add a custom.css and drop your css code there! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Yup ... I'm always forgetting about using custom.css ... .Old habits are hard to shake !

Reply #8

Thanks Spuds and Emanuele, but I think you overrated me. ;)

After several attempts I was convinced to leave every changement to the people that knows what they do.

I will keep the Forum just like you brought to us, keeping standars setting with only changement the language and, may be in future, the skin.

Thanks again for your job, that gives us a beautiful forum software.

;)

Reply #9

Don't be scared! ;D
It's not difficult.

You take a notepad (maybe not the one bundled with windows, usually it's better something like notepad++), then you create a new file and add:
.wrapper {
max-width: 90%;
}
and save it with te name "custom.css".
Then you take your ftp client (or cPanel if you want or anything else) and upload the file to:
themes/your_theme/css
That's all. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Great! Now I am not at home but this evening, tomorrow morning latest, I will try through FTP.

What I did in the last days was to go into the control panel of the hosting company where I have my micro-forum, open the index "folder" (I do not know if it's correct to call it in this way), try to find the first code listed by Spuds with the intention to replace it with the second code listed.

As I said, after several attempts, I thought it was better to close everything and leave the things as they were. :)

Now with FTP I think it will be easier. I will post (I hope) a screenshot proving my victory against the evil css code! ;D  ;D

Thanks again for the time You spent answering me.

Enrico

Reply #11

Perfect! Now the width of the forum have increased and it is perfect for me.

Thanks again for the support!

Enrico

Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:15:52 pm by Enrico

Reply #12

Ok, I decided: even my micro-forum will switch to ElkArte.

I will ask you for sure other things, but into the appropriate board.

Thanks to all for the support.

;)