Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request: Forum width user setting (Read 1976 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Forum width user setting

Quote from: IRC[02:20:11AM] <kuroshi> someone complained about the style not taking up the whole screen
[02:20:32AM] <kuroshi> they're one of those people who maximizes their forums on a 16:9 monitor and likes the paragraphs to be 5 miles wide
[02:20:53AM] * Keiro grimaces
[02:21:04AM] <Keiro> There is functionality for that
[02:21:20AM] <Keiro> I know it's there, I just don't ermember where that functionality is atm in Elkarte.
[02:21:31AM] <Keiro> Let me look it up for ya
[02:22:40AM] <Keiro> Ah yeah.
[02:23:16AM] <Keiro> Configuration > Current Theme which redirects you to the current theme's Theme Settings.
[02:23:21AM] <Keiro> Forum width is what you're looking for.
[02:23:55AM] <Keiro> However, that's forum-wide. Which may or may not be what you want.
[02:24:16AM] <Keiro> Especially if only a few users want that functionality. I don't know if it's possible to replicate that functionality on a per-user basis.
[02:26:30AM] <Keiro> I'm almost pretty sure it is, after all, it is open-source.
[02:28:15AM] <Keiro> I think I'll make a FR for that, that'll be useful to have as an option.

Use-case: Maybe you want to provide users the option to set the forum width to take up the entire screen but you don't want to enable it site-wide. Great for a fair few forums such as at least a couple of my own forums, which tend to go towards the length of paragraph-style posts on a fairly regular basis. For such an example, such a setting would be great.

Besides, User Choice™ is always a good thing, isn't it? I'd say it should be possible to provide such a functionality as an add-on on a per-user basis that pops that setting into My Account > Look and Layout.

Thoughts?

Re: Feature Request: Forum width user setting

Reply #1

It could be achieved with some js trickery I think.
Let's say a button placed maybe between the up and down arrows that expands it and saves it as a setting in the personal profile.
It should not override the mobile settings though, so maybe just an additional class to... body or the wrapper, one of the two, to override the max-width setting.
An addon should be somehow easy to do if only javascript is acceptable.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I'd suggest maybe making it in the user's Look and Layout section.
Another button always on screen, especially for one that would not be pushed all the time, may make things a bit more, cluttered, shall we say?

Reply #3

That specific problem of wide screens is caused by the code in index.css
Code: [Select]
.wrapper {
margin: 0 auto;
/* Next controls forum width, when it is not set in admin. */
width: 90%;
/* Next limits maximum width on wide screens. */
/* Sized in em, since some people require larger text. */
/* For ease of reading, content really should not be too wide. */
max-width: 90em;
}
that max-width:90em which is ~ 1260px wide screen is as wide as the content will ever be allowed to go ... you can remove that, or change it to 115em which is are 1600px wide ...

Other than that, a user option and a js would be easy to allow each user to do their thing as well.

Reply #4

Quote from: Burke Knight – I'd suggest maybe making it in the user's Look and Layout section.
Another button always on screen, especially for one that would not be pushed all the time, may make things a bit more, cluttered, shall we say?

This is the best suggestion. I suggested this mostly because not everyone will care for the setting. And well, those that do, will either ask for it or modify the source themselves directly.

I'd personally prefer to have the option be made as per @TE, @Burke Knight and I's suggestion. Much easier that way, either as an add-on or a direct edit to sauce as per @emanuele's suggestion regarding the classes.