Skip to main content
Topic: Issue with MyBB 1.8 importer. (Read 7078 times) previous topic - next topic

Issue with MyBB 1.8 importer.

I am having trouble getting the importer (http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=3204.0) to work, I get an error of
Quote"Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of your forum cannot access the installation of %1. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it. The error MySQL gave was: 'SELECT command denied to user 'xxxxx_xxxx111'@'localhost' for table 'asl_users'"
I searched the forum but there was no concrete solution/answer.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Issue with MyBB 1.8 importer.

Reply #1

It may/may not make any difference, but please try the open importer version from here it should be the latest and have some updates.

Just copy unzip and copy the above to your ElkArte root ... import.php in the root and the /import directory right off the root.  Your myBB forum should be in the tree ... for example if you have /var/www/mybb  then you should have /var/www/elkarte  The elkarte directory gets import.php and the new /import directory.

If that does not work, just let us know.  I know I have run that with a basic MyBB 1.8 and it worked, but it was a plain version.

Reply #2

Hi @Spuds  I still get the same error even with that version.

Reply #3

It looks like the mysql user doesn't have access to one of the two databases.
IIRC, in 1.x OI, the database users (both from the source and the destination) have to have read/write access to both the source and destination databases (to stay on the safe side).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – It looks like the mysql user doesn't have access to one of the two databases.
IIRC, in 1.x OI, the database users (both from the source and the destination) have to have read/write access to both the source and destination databases (to stay on the safe side).

How would I give access? Thanks for the help by the way, the technical side of forums is not my forte...

Reply #5

Firstly, I think this post should be merged with http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=3204.50 as it is relating the discussed importer.

Secondly, I think the easiest way to use this importer is having both MyBB and ElkArte using the same user and database but different prefix. That way, you shouldn't face any issue with database access.

Thirdly, make sure you make a proper backup before pursing with this.

Reply #6

Quote from: ahrasis – Secondly, I think the easiest way to use this importer is having both MyBB and ElkArte using the same user and database but different prefix. That way, you shouldn't face any issue with database access.

Even with doing that, I still get the same error.

Reply #7

Sorry but may be you try again when you are ready and make sure all these steps are followed?

1. Ensure that your MyBB site is working good.
2. Create ElkArte database (it can be either in the same database with different prefix or different database but make sure that database user and password is the same for both MyBB and ElkArte).
3. Install ElkArte in another directory and make sure it is working too.
4. Upload the importer files to your ElkArte installation.
5. Get the latest xml file and replace the one in the zip file with it.
6. Open import.php in your browser and follow the instructions.
7. Cross your fingers again.  O:-)

Reply #8

Quote from: ahrasis – Sorry but may be you try again when you are ready and make sure all these steps are followed?

1. Ensure that your MyBB site is working good.
2. Create ElkArte database (it can be either in the same database with different prefix or different database but make sure that database user and password is the same for both MyBB and ElkArte).
3. Install ElkArte in another directory and make sure it is working too.
4. Upload the importer files to your ElkArte installation.
5. Get the latest xml file and replace the one in the zip file with it.
6. Open import.php in your browser and follow the instructions.
7. Cross your fingers again.  O:-)

Still not working. Maybe it is step 2 that I am messing up on, not sure. Currently I have my ElkArte installation under home/sitenamehere/public_html/ElkArte Installation Name and my MyBB installation under /home/sitenamehere/MyBB Installation Name. Both were installed with Softaculous and both are working fine. As far as databases go they both have the same prefixes but I am not sure how to check if passwords are the same . I am using the password from ElkArte's settings.php to fill in the database field as instructed.

Reply #9

I guess it's time to read the settings.
1) Go go "/sitenamehere/public_html/ElkArte Installation Name", and open the file Settings.php, take note of the values of $db_user and $db_name,
2) go to "/home/sitenamehere/MyBB Installation Name/inc", and open the file config.php, take note of the values $config['database']['username'] and $config['database']['database'].
Now compare them and see if they are the same or not.

That way we can set a milestone and be sure if we are talking about the same database or not.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele – I guess it's time to read the settings.
1) Go go "/sitenamehere/public_html/ElkArte Installation Name", and open the file Settings.php, take note of the values of $db_user and $db_name,
2) go to "/home/sitenamehere/MyBB Installation Name/inc", and open the file config.php, take note of the values $config['database']['username'] and $config['database']['database'].
Now compare them and see if they are the same or not.

That way we can set a milestone and be sure if we are talking about the same database or not.

I've checked and they both have the same prefixes.

Reply #11

You're using cPanel?

If so, log into it, then goto MySQL Databases, scroll to 'Add user to database' and add the elkarte user to the MyBB database, tick the box that says 'All privileges' on the screen that pops up, then hit 'make changes'. Then do the exact same for the MyBB user to the elkarte database.

Now it should work :)

Reply #12

Quote from: Cierra – I've checked and they both have the same prefixes.
What does it mean they have the same prefix?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Cierra – I've checked and they both have the same prefixes.
What does it mean they have the same prefix?

I think the key was a bit further back, softaculous in cPanel by default creates a new database user and new database for every installation it does. However the permissions to run the queries need manually assigned if you're going to use both at once.

So it will have created users user_mybb and user_elk, and databases user_mybbdata and user_elkdata for example, however user_elk won't have permission to run 'SELECT' on user_mybbdata, unless the permissions are added.

As you can see in the first error it's connecting to the database but hasn't yet got the credentials to continue.

Reply #14

Quote from: Trekkie101 – You're using cPanel?

If so, log into it, then goto MySQL Databases, scroll to 'Add user to database' and add the elkarte user to the MyBB database, tick the box that says 'All privileges' on the screen that pops up, then hit 'make changes'. Then do the exact same for the MyBB user to the elkarte database.

Now it should work :)

That worked thank you!! :) I am still having a few issues... some avatars are not displaying, poll choices weren't able to import, and the statistics in Forum Stats didn't update but I'll have to work that out a little later.