Skip to main content
Topic: Embedding self hosted videos (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Embedding self hosted videos

There is an add on (or two) creating third party video embedding capabilities. Out of the box Elk allows video attachment upload, but the attachment results in a download situation. How could one embed attached vids within the post, or is @Spuds gallery adaptation the best option? Thanks for any thoughts!

Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #1

Elk 1.1 has auto embed video files built in  ... it works for YouTube, Vimeo and DM.  The setting should be under post settings in the admin panel, "Enable auto-embedding of video links"

VBG also has the lite version of auto video embedding available, that supports a lot more sites. https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4212.0
Be safe, Be kind, Happy Programing

Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #2

s
Quote from: Spuds  -  Elk 1.1 has auto embed video files built in  ... it works for YouTube, Vimeo and DM.  The setting should be under post settings in the admin panel, "Enable auto-embedding of video links"

VBG also has the lite version of auto video embedding available, that supports a lot more sites. https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4212.0
Right on. I can't seem to get the add on to work for attached vids, or anything except YouTube actually. Not sure what's wrong. 

Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #3

Never rule out a bug !

Is it Vimeo that is not working or other?  TBH I have not done testing with anything other than YouTube since we released 1.1, so if something changed on those other sites it could need a little update.  

There is also this addon https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=5178.0  which will work as well.  

If using an addon, be sure to un-check the built in support
Be safe, Be kind, Happy Programing

Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #4

Quote from: Spuds  -  Never rule out a bug !

Is it Vimeo that is not working or other?  TBH I have not done testing with anything other than YouTube since we released 1.1, so if something changed on those other sites it could need a little update. 

There is also this addon https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=5178.0  which will work as well. 

If using an addon, be sure to un-check the built in support
I tried FB, tikturd, and uploaded attached vid to no result. The bug is probably mine. lol  Honestly, I'm not entirely certain precisely what the addons expect as a posted link. They each provide a URL as well as various embed coding. Neither addon include explicit use instructions so it could be user error.....;D

Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #5

Yeah the built in one will not work with tikturd (LOL),

I added TT that support to 2.0 but those vids are an entirely different thing to support then YouTube.  You have to load in TT video specific HTML and you can't just show a simple embed.  It may not work here now since we are playing with the side X side layout for videos.

Not sure on FB, I've always avoided using them, even as a developer they want your first hatched.  I'll see whats involved and if its easy to add will do so.  I may make these updates available for 1.1.9 since the changes are only to one JS file.

Lets see if I boke TT, this should embed a fine video
Code: [Select]
https://www.tiktok.com/@scout2015/video/6718335390845095173
https://www.tiktok.com/@scout2015/video/6718335390845095173
Be safe, Be kind, Happy Programing

Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds  -  Yeah the built in one will not work with tikturd (LOL),

I added TT that support to 2.0 but those vids are an entirely different thing to support then YouTube.  You have to load in TT video specific HTML and you can't just show a simple embed.  It may not work here now since we are playing with the side X side layout for videos.

Not sure on FB, I've always avoided using them, even as a developer they want your first hatched.  I'll see whats involved and if its easy to add will do so.  I may make these updates available for 1.1.9 since the changes are only to one JS file.

Lets see if I boke TT, this should embed a fine video
Code: [Select]
https://www.tiktok.com/@scout2015/video/6718335390845095173
https://www.tiktok.com/@scout2015/video/6718335390845095173
Hhhmmm.....*that* link worked with the Simple Audio Video Embedder. Unfortunately CPU % went through the roof even with a php restart. Tried on another site with the same result. Oh well. Vid embed may be simply a dream.


Thanks for your help Spuds!


Re: Embedding self hosted videos

Reply #7

Nothing wrong with just limiting it to plain old YouTube / Vimeo, although those sites are less "spontaneous" social stuff like on TT or FB or Twitter.
Be safe, Be kind, Happy Programing