Skip to main content
Topic: Computer down (Read 2655 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer down

I wake up this morning and the desktop doesn't boot, so I'm currently out of the games at least until I understand what's going on (rather difficult when it stops at an early stage of the boot process).
I feel som problem with the disk... :facepalm:
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Computer down

Reply #1

And now the big question: do you have backups? 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Backups are the last of my concerns because if the failure is from the os hdd, I have (most of) the data on the secondary (even though I lost a bit track of what I have where because of the symlinks O:-) ).
But anyway, to answer your question: no, I don't have any backup. xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Confirmed the os hdd is goneI probably lost quite a bit of data, hopefully not many very relevant...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Maybe when you get a new hdd you will be able to mount the old one and find stuff ... or remember the second time around the code is always better :P

Reply #5

Funny thing is the disk was/is partioned with mixed ntfs/ext4. From linux apparently nothing is accessible, though if I attach it to a win machine, some ntfs partitions are still accessible.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

That is strange ... maybe not a hardware error then but a FS error ... could try ntfsfix if its available for your distro

Reply #7

Dunno... The problem is that linux doesn't access the ext4 partitions, it doesn't even mount them...
It feels like the partitions not in the extended one are still accessible, while the others are broken somehow.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

The partitions have started working again!
Now backup first and foremost!
Even though I discovered I mostly had backups there (albeit backups of things I don't have anywere else).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Try ssd for a change in the future. I have been using it since last year and so far they are good.

For backup I remember you have backup script to google drive. What happened to that?

By the way, I think with linux we can arrange so that different folder goes to different google drive account. Has anyone tried that?

Reply #10

I had an ssd hanging in the case since 1.5 years ago waiting to be used... Now it has been used! xD

I have the backup script for the server, but not for my own computer (1 tb is not easy to backup on gdrive I think).

Anyway, apparenrly, only the os is having issues, so probably a simple reinstall will solve. Everything else seems accessible.
Now I have to order one or two disks and do some work!

BTW, I was thinking about raid, anyone has any experience/suggestion?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

The Samsung SSD in my computer works for the 6th year now. I bought it 2012 and the computer is used daily.  :)

Reply #12

Quote from: emanuele – BTW, I was thinking about raid, anyone has any experience/suggestion?

I always setup my system drive(s) as a RAID 1. These days I use two 500 GB SSD's and setup the RAID1 in the bios instead of letting Windows do it.

Reply #13

Quote from: emanuele – BTW, I was thinking about raid, anyone has any experience/suggestion?
I've run some raid setups .... just RAID 0 and RAID 5 ... I should try a RAID 1 setup.

The RAID 0 stuff was on game system with two disks, so that was all about increasing disk i/o but offered no data security.

the RAID 5 requires at least 3 disks.  Like RAID 0, It also improves disk i/o since it stripes across the drives, but it then writes a parity bit on one of the drives.  So with that you can actually remove a disk and still be operational  :o This is because of the data parity is known and the raid controller can calculate the missing bit if needed. 

If you have 3 disks Its a bit like  A + B = C  , if you know any 2 values you can determine the 3rd.    I had a 3 disk RAID 5 setup and did have a disk fail ... popped it out, put a new one in and the data was rebuilt by the software/controller, pretty cool really.  That was years ago with a separate RAID controller card vs a chipset based one.  The downside here is if you have 3 1TB disks, you have a total of 2TB data space.