Skip to main content
Topic: Intermittent Slowness / Lost Posts (Read 1772 times) previous topic - next topic

Intermittent Slowness / Lost Posts

Almost vanilla Elkarte, just a custom theme and one page I coded myself that displays all topics replied to in the last 24 hours.
Current version is 1.0.9, upgraded from 1.0.4 with the last five patches.

Has anyone else experienced page load problems and/or lost posts with Elkarte? I'm having some extremely weird issues with a forum I manage whose users are complaining that sometimes "The site was down" or "it loads forever."  Meanwhile, the host claims the server was never down and everything is good. I'd rather not reveal the identity of the host at this time because I'm aware it might not reflect well upon them, but they are reputable.

For whatever reason, slowness seems to occur most often when submitting a post. It can sometimes load for a long period and not go through. Unfortunately I can't seem to get an exact error message because people usually hit the back button on their browser in order to save their post from imminent doom, and I can't seem to personally replicate the issue. If you were to wait it out, the connection would time out and the post would not be saved.

I've written a script that polls the board index every five seconds to look for issues and log them. That log is attached. You can see that we have somewhat frequent slowness, and occasional stuff like "no route to host."

How would I go about debugging this? I've tried looking for slow queries by enabling debug info, but that's not so helpful since I can't seem to get a slow page load manually. Also at any given time, it may be "down" for some people, but not others.
~((0040 + 0x20) + (0b111 << 1))
"You never said something, for me, to penny mention work a barbecue pit." ~ Gilligan

Re: Intermittent Slowness / Lost Posts

Reply #1

Doing a quick scan of your DNS, I got this
Code: [Select]
DNS servers responded	ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not respond are:

So that could be a problem if the DNS is not resolving for some folks?

Reply #2

Thanks for your response, Spuds. That was probably at least contributing to the problem. The host ended up moving us to another data center entirely, as sort of a "nuke it and start over" solution. Nobody seems to be having any issues after a few days of that, so I guess all is well.
~((0040 + 0x20) + (0b111 << 1))
"You never said something, for me, to penny mention work a barbecue pit." ~ Gilligan

Reply #3

Good to hear ...

I did see that it was moved to new nameservers and they were responding as required.   It can be such a pain in the rear when nameservers act up as some systems strongly cache those DNS values, so getting them cleared once they are failed can take a little time.  Anyway Leroy knows what he is doing for sure so you are in good hands.