Skip to main content
Topic: Smile Set (Read 8572 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smile Set

Reply #15

GIF images are working fine. Just that only Smiles with pre defined names are working. How can we define new smile codes as a part of plugin ? ie, I have other smiles with short codes and names that are not present in default.

Reply #16

Progress so far. GIF smiles are working. But need to find a way to introduce new smile short codes before we can use it. Or will show broken smiles as in post above about Droid smiles.

Reply #17

That's the problem with the Smiley system. It is very cumbersome to insert your own smileys with its own name. Reading right here => https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/2985 by me, this could be the solution:

QuoteHave got it now. But very inconvenient. Had to delete all Smileys Set in the Admin Center. Then I had to delete all of these files on the server, Then the contents of the folder "default" empty (except for index.php) and then add your own smileys. Very very awkward.

Regards Stephan

Reply #18

I use own smileys with their own codes without problems.  :o

Or is ist just a problem because you want to create an addon package? I got lost...

Reply #19

Yep, trying to write new smile short code via plugin itself.

Reply #20

Okay, sorry.  O:-)

A mod can delete my question and this post then...

Reply #21

I had to proceed written by me as above to insert these smileys. The Smiley system should be re-created.

Reply #22

@wintstar , are you mentioning about adding custom smiles through ACP ? Can't we use custom XML file inside smile pack and add those new short codes ? Or does it require custom PHP file ?

Reply #23

I had also tried. I then deleted all the Admin Center Smiley Sets. Then all deleted on the server. All Smileys also deleted from the default folder. In Odner default I then inserted my smileys and even uploaded the folder with my smileys. Then I edited my own smileys in Admin Center. This Smileys system is too complicated for the other smileys with own filenames. So then were gone the error messages.
Regards Stephan

Reply #24

Yeah, smiley handling is somehow sub-optimal.
There is a lot of space for improvement.

I can't look at smiley until this evening (6/7 hours).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

The smiley interface can be confusing for sure.  I'll try to explain it but I'm betting that I get it wrong since I'm often bamboozled by it!

First I believe it only works with gif files since we have to support animated smiles.  I wish apng had been adopted but no luck and although there are some alternatives, gif is the standard for the bouncing icons.

Second, it does not have "Enable customized smileys" enabled by default, and I'm not sure why that is even an option.  If that option (under smiley settings) is not enabled, then you can't add a new smiley set and make it the site default.

Once you enable that option, you can add smileys via the package manager.  It creates the new smiley directory and uploads the image files. The smiley manager will discover the new smiley directory for you but you will need to give that set a name.  I'm not sure there is a way to do that with the addon manager, so for now its a manual step. (package upload, install, add new smiley set, select the new directory that was created, give the set a name)

Each smiley set can have its own unique set of images for the defined codes, and you can add as many new codes as you want. 

Once you add a code, ALL smiley sets will look for an image to replace it with.  If a smiley set does not have an image, you need to add one yourself or set that smiley as hidden in those specific sets if you intend to use that set as the default or if you allow members to choose smiley sets.

The easiest thing to do is add a new smiley set, set it as the site default, don't allow members to choose their own set, and then add codes and images as you wish to your new set.

Reply #26

Quote from: Wizard – Ok, it's working fine, with certain exceptions

Just means there are no specific smileys for those codes.  Your choices are:
1) create a new smiley to use with those codes
2) use one of the existing images for those codes like cheezy and laugh
3) set the missing codes as hidden instead of post form (only small downside to that is if they are enabled in one set and not another)

Reply #27

Quote from: wintstar – I had to proceed written by me as above to insert these smileys. The Smiley system should be re-created.
Shamless plug: http://addons.elkarte.net/feature/emoji.html is a nice way to add a lot of smileys with type ahead like on github
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:32:32 pm by Spuds

Reply #28

@Spuds Smileys are a constituent of the forum system. It should be changed and not by Addons "improved". Current Smiley system is cumbersome and not easy to adapt to your own needs.

Regards Stephan

Reply #29

QuoteEach smiley set can have its own unique set of images for the defined codes, and you can add as many new codes as you want. 

This is precisely what I want. How can I add new smile codes via Addon package ?