Skip to main content
Topic: Google fonts in Elk (Read 3041 times) previous topic - next topic

Google fonts in Elk

How about replacing default Elk font with one of the Google Web Fonts ?

Re: Google fonts in Elk

Reply #1

Pros and cons for those that know close to nothing about fonts?
IIRC Elk's default fonts are just a set of standard fonts present on almost any computer, if I get it right (by the things I know about fonts, that are not that much) use Google Web Fonts would mean download the fonts almost like FA?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Or link to them, IIRC.
If link, need to have others set as secondary, in case the font server does not load.

Reply #3

Usually on localhost when the theme is using Google Fonts, on load it will hang if the servers are not responding. I like the fonts attached with the theme.

Reply #4

Google Fonts are providing top quality CDN. At start ( for a moment ) you will get default Elk fonts and later Google Font will be loaded.  Downloading a font does not take much resource in my opinion. But if loading of Google font fails, you still have default Elk fonts to work with.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Pros and cons for those that know close to nothing about fonts?
Really, I'm trying to understand what's the advantage over the "classic" fonts, I'm totally ignorant about it. I'm not joking. ;)

1) How to "use them".
2) What is the advantage. (Consistency? Readability? Whatever?)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

1 ) Use can use it either via CSS or through PHP template

2) They look cute. Take a look at them and you would know what I mean.

There is a wide variety of them. We can even give a drop down to select from different fonts to give forum an altogether different look.

Reply #7

We use a font stack that calls for the most common fonts for windows, mac, *nix and then a generic.   The primary reason to use a web font, from what little I know, is to improve (like having some) cross browser, cross OS consistency on how the site renders.

If you look at our site on *nix with chrome its a lot different then doz with firefox they will really will look a lot different.  They use different fonts of course, and those fonts are not quite the same in pt size (no matter what our font stack says), so all those em tweaks and line heights layout a bit different.

Instead you can do
Code: [Select]
@font-face {
  font-family: "Open Sans";
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 400;
  src: local('Open Sans'), local('OpenSans'), url(http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/opensans/v7/cJZKeOuBrn4kERxqtaUH3T8E0i7KZn-EPnyo3HZu7kw.woff) format('woff');
}

Then we update the body stuff as
Code: [Select]
body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0 0 0 0;
font: 87.5%/150% "Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif;
}

Have to to add bold/italic maybe demi in that as well.  Anyway point is at least we would know what we are dealing with.   You can get a page delay, mostly if you are using some "off" fonts, but Open Sans is probably already in your browser cache since its very popular.