Skip to main content
Topic: Minor Aestectics For Recycle Board (Read 3663 times) previous topic - next topic

Minor Aestectics For Recycle Board

For the _light variant please consider the below changes. This will round out the bottom left and right corners of the recycle window which will better match the other window corners and is more visually appealing. Also, please consider a colour change to enhance the presence of the window. The original colour is a bit light, to me. The colour I chose is just a choice, there is likely a better colour.

In the _light variant file of admin_light.css apply the border-radius and colour change.

Code: [Select]
#manage_boards .recycle_board {
    background-color: #bddeed;
    border-radius: 0 0 7px 7px;
}

For the variant _besocial please consider the below change. The only change is the colour of the window. At present it is very light and the window is not visually different than the other windows. This sort of conflicts with the look of the _light variant where it is obvious the recycle window is being identified by colour. Here the borders do not change as the other windows (not horizontal bars) are already square; only a colour change is suggested. Of course any colour can be used I am simply showing a possible colour.

In the admin_besocial.css file add the following.

Code: [Select]
#manage_boards .recycle_board {
    background-color: #bddeed;
}

Thanks,

Re: Minor Aestectics For Recycle Board

Reply #1

What on earth is it doing with a blue background there anyway? There's no blue in the entire theme. Plus the buttons are unstyled, which is another issue. The whole thing looks like it's been pulled out of something entirely different and just shoved into place.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

Quote from: Antechinus – What on earth is it doing with a blue background there anyway? There's no blue in the entire theme. Plus the buttons are unstyled, which is another issue. The whole thing looks like it's been pulled out of something entirely different and just shoved into place.

Did you misread the post?

QuoteThe colour I chose is just a choice, there is likely a better colour.

QuoteOf course any colour can be used I am simply showing a possible colour.

Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:32:26 am by emanuele

Reply #3

I'm not just referring to the colour. It's the whole picture. You're trying to suggest "improvements", which is fine, but the problem is that your suggestions do not fit the theme. Like I said, they look as if they've just been pulled out of another interface and just shoved into this one.

Are you expecting that people should only say everything you suggest is perfect? It doesn't work like that. If you want to suggest anything for the front end you have to be prepared for people to rip it to pieces. Happens all the time. Show it to 1,000 people and you'll get 1,000 opinions.
Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:28:34 am by Antechinus

Reply #4

Oh guys, come on.. please calm down, not another drama... That's SMF territory, not Elk's ..

TBH, the current layout for the recyle board doesn't look that good (screeny attached).. @Antechinus, ideas how to improve it? I personally avoid changing the light variant 'cause it's not my design.

Reply #5

Let's try to avoid personal attacks. ;)
Opinions are fine. Disagreement is wonderful to help keep the mind always open. But personal attacks lead to grudge. And this is not nice. ;)

As many of you know, I tend to think that themes are created by a single person and this person has the "last word" on it, so I wouldn't change Be Social! without TE's approval (if I did... I'm sorry... :-[), and I wouldn't touch Light without hearing Ant's opinion.

That said, Ant: a suggestion is a suggestion, we all know any suggestion can be either accepted or not. Light is your creation, so since you have a better overview of how the theme should look like, your opinion has a higher weight. As far as I understand, AaronB is suggesting to round the borders of the highlight color of the recycle board, and to use a slightly more saturated background.

The fact that the buttons are not styled is something unrelated to AaronB suggestion, it is though true that the page would require a bit of work because probably suffered from some change during some cleanup step.
Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:18:25 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

@AaronB thanks for bringing the issue to everyone's attention.  I'm not fond of the current background color in terms of the contrast it provides for my eyes, if a different color background is even needed at all for that area as it already has the recycle icon.

Just to note, the style is pretty basic, I stripped it down as what was there it caused issues with the drag and drop functionality.  When dragging elements across categories and as children, etc etc and dropping them in a new area, the page / list structure should be able to handle it with out breaking.  Noted here

The css hacks were in  ! update css so it looks like a boring list .. needs help !  pr ... also related

Reply #7

Ok, fair enough. My initial comment to AaronB was a bit harsh.

I hadn't looked in admin since the drag and drop was implemented. It's bit of a visual mess, judging by the latest pix in this thread and by a quick look in the admin CSS files. Apart from anything else, there is still stuff left over from SMF 2.1 Alpha in css/admin.css, which preferably should be sorted before RC. Last time I worked on this beast I was so busy rewriting the CSS and markup for other areas that I hadn't got around to admin anyway.

What it needs IMO is not dainty tiptoeing around the edges, but a bit of a visual overhaul to get it into line with everything else, so it all looks like part of the same interface. IOW, an overview approach rather than a piecemeal one.