Skip to main content
RC 1 Feedback Started by Eliana Tamerin · · Read 4122 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. previous topic - next topic

RC 1 Feedback

I don't guarantee that these topics are in order or are exhaustive. I'm still combing through admin settings and features, but here's some feedback I have so far. If you need any clarification, ask and I'll provide it.

Enable unwatching of topics
Why would you want to disable the ability to UNwatch a topic? I would understand disabling the ability to watch a topic to begin with, but to stop watching it? Huh? Are you crazy?

Personal Messages
It's nice that there's some more options for PMs, but please tell me those permissions affect the general group permissions, too. checks Oh, okay, they do. This feels a bit silly, but okay. Repetition is silly, but it's not yet stupid. Carry on.

Features and Options Menu vs Buttons
The order of Mentions and Signatures is reversed in the Buttons and the (drop-down) Menus.

Post-Group Permissions
Don't list these groups on the Permissions page if the Modify button goes to the Membergroup Modify page. It's unituitive and makes me think something is wrong.

PHP Info in Server Settings
Whoever had this brilliant idea (even if you didn't, take credit for it anyway) deserves a gold star. 'Bout damn time someone put this in.

Bad Behavior
Put the Bad Behavior explanation in a blue header similar to the Moderation (User Warning System explanation). I didn't know what it was, and it took me a while to find it, I wasn't expecting it in the Security & Moderation header.

Theme Settings
Nobody really touched this page, except to add in jQuery. I'm really sad, this is one admin-facing tool that could really use some help.

Current Theme
In the admin drop down menu, Theme Management is highlighed for this page, instead of Current Theme. Shouldn't be hard to detect the right page.

Convert to MEDIUMTEXT
Nice idea, something that a few boards could use. Another brilliant thought.

Integration Hooks
Not sure how you did it, but upgrading from an SMF board that had the Wrap Text Around Image mod installed (a BBC float button), Elk was able to automatically import that BBC button. That's damn good.

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #1

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – I don't guarantee that these topics are in order or are exhaustive. I'm still combing through admin settings and features, but here's some feedback I have so far. If you need any clarification, ask and I'll provide it.
Thanks!
 emanuele asks

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Enable unwatching of topics
Why would you want to disable the ability to UNwatch a topic? I would understand disabling the ability to watch a topic to begin with, but to stop watching it? Huh? Are you crazy?
ehhh.... something to "fix" in the next version. The "watch" is nothing else than the usual "unread replies", that's related to a topic I opened the other day... can't find it at the moment.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Personal Messages
It's nice that there's some more options for PMs, but please tell me those permissions affect the general group permissions, too. checks Oh, okay, they do. This feels a bit silly, but okay. Repetition is silly, but it's not yet stupid. Carry on.
I'm not sure which options you refer to, though some of those that were PM options are now a bit wider, including emails too.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Features and Options Menu vs Buttons
The order of Mentions and Signatures is reversed in the Buttons and the (drop-down) Menus.
Already reported somewhere else.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Post-Group Permissions
Don't list these groups on the Permissions page if the Modify button goes to the Membergroup Modify page. It's unituitive and makes me think something is wrong.
Well... actually something is wrong... and likely my fault too. lol

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Theme Settings
Nobody really touched this page, except to add in jQuery. I'm really sad, this is one admin-facing tool that could really use some help.
That page requires a lot of work on the backend too...

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Current Theme
In the admin drop down menu, Theme Management is highlighed for this page, instead of Current Theme. Shouldn't be hard to detect the right page.
hmm... have to check, but the "current theme" is really just a redirect to a "theme management" page.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Convert to MEDIUMTEXT
Nice idea, something that a few boards could use. Another brilliant thought.
Well, it was already there, it was performed implicitly when using a number of characters higher that 65k for the text.
It was made explicit because the way back implies a possible loss of data.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Integration Hooks
Not sure how you did it, but upgrading from an SMF board that had the Wrap Text Around Image mod installed (a BBC float button), Elk was able to automatically import that BBC button. That's damn good.
That's [SiNaN]'s work! ;D
It "just" grabs the hooks and checks if they exist or not and so on.

 emanuele loves ctrl+enter! O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #2

The Personal Messages page under Features & Options was the second item. The Permissions Box there seems a bit redundant, but like I said, it seems to affect the real Permissions settings, so it's not some crazy stupid implementation. Just a bit weird.

Should'a known Sinan would come up with the smartest feature. ;)

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #3

Avatars on Board Index
I can't find an obvious setting to turn this off, either in Core Features, Features and Options (Layout), Current Theme settings or my personal Look and Layout preferences.

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #4

Avatar on BI are "theme-specific", in the sense that is the theme from the template_init function that controls them, not a real setting.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Avatar on BI are "theme-specific", in the sense that is the theme from the template_init function that controls them, not a real setting.

Then shouldn't there be an option in the Elk default theme settings to turn them off?

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #6

Congrats on RC1 release guys. Sorry, a bit late for the party ;)

 

Re: RC 1 Feedback

Reply #7

The party is just started! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.