Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request: Sidebar (Read 13835 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Customizable Sidebars

Reply #30

I use simple portal as will for just the side boxes, thanks Ichbin for the response.
Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:57:11 am by Allan
Host-Hunters- Free advertisement for hosts.
KnD Hosting- Affordable hosting

Reply #31

I'm pretty sure it at least works, since Spuds had been working on it. The conversion had been somewhat parallel to the development of 2.4 version of SimplePortal, which had been stalled for some time now due to other projects I had to work on but should start again soon.

Reply #32

I worked (with some bugs) on B1 but I would guess its needs some updating for B2.   Its high on my "list" of things to get working on now that B2 is out. 

Tabbed block

Reply #33

Is it possible to have block in with tabs where we can browse through most liked, recent, most viewed etc posts/topics ? I mean something like [bd] Widgetframework for XF.

Re: Tabbed block

Reply #34

That one?

The main problem would be there is no sidebar... :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #35

SimplePortal then?

Reply #36

Widget framework is the most downloaded addon for XF. I think he means something like like the blocks at TAZ community
sorry for my bad english

Reply #38

What is the difference between portal anyway? It can do all that as well, and more, right?

Reply #39

The difference lays mainly on what users expect to be on the "core" and what not.
A "sidebar" is much simpler than a portal. It is usually meant to be shown maybe only on the board index, with... something in it.
A portal is usually much more, the current Simple Portal is much closer to a CMS than a ... simple portal and maybe many people only want a simple sidebar and don't want to have to deal with all the stuff that SP brings with it.

Do note that I always considered sidebars as unnecessary hassles, but recently (there is a topic in this board) I started considering the possibility to have one. I also started coding an addon, and I was immediately side-tracked to something more complex as usual. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #40

That's the problem. It will become more complex. But it is up to developer to consider whether this should be a part of the core. Or official elkarte addons. I can see this in Wedge and dislike it. Just make sure I can turn this off if you make it a part of the core will ya @emanuele .

Reply #42

Widgetized sidebar/header/footer to put whatever you want like in wordpress? :D
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #43

Then we can consider it a duplicate of:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1062.0
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=433.0

And partially of:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2068.0

emanuele is in soft cleanup mode, so I'm going to merge this with 1062 and 433. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.