Skip to main content
Topic: Support for webp images (Read 2861 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Support for webp images

Reply #15

It's happening because the .quoteheader is a div, which is block level display by default. It would need a right margin to stop it overlapping the floated image.

Best solution is probably to rewrite the markup for quotes, so that the quoteheader stuffz goes inside the blockquote (cite tag, or whatever else works).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #16

I wonder if a display: flex; on the quote header would do the trick since a float should not intrude into a flex area?   If not probably will have to change the way that markup is done, but can be more involved I fear.

I added this to the tracker so its not forgotten :D

Reply #17

Just tried flex in dev tools. Seems to work, at least with the example post. Might be worth trying a few other examples with different quoteheader content.

Although really the markup change would be sensible anyway, just from the point of markup and CSS. The dark side have gone with a cite tag inside the blockquote for 2.1, which is nice and simple. Offhand I can't recall how Subs (or whatever you use now) handles quote markup in Elk, but from memory it wasn't too gnarly.

If you want to change it I'd be happy to tackle that. If not, flex on the existing will probably be ok.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #18

If you want to tackle it, that would be great!

I don't think you will find anything in Subs.php, its all going to be in the BBC parser which is its own thing now.  Doing a quick search it looks to be in the alternateQuoteStyle() method down in /sources/ElkArte/BBC/BBCParser.php 

When you go there you will note that is where I did some juggling to test out what would be required fort those CSS only expandable quotes, I needed PHP to set the markup due to the number of conditions.

ETA::

There is also some juggling in handleCollapsedQuotes() which if I recall was for the nested quote problems.

And lasty the intial BBC codes are set up in Codes.php found in sources/ElkArte/BBC/Codes.php ... This is the standard bbc to markup definition that will look somewhat familiar, its just that quotes being a PITA need lots of other processing, at least for the nested stuff, which is where I choose to intercept things for the collapsed quotes.

Hope that makes some sense at least when you go looking ... Codes -> basic markup -> alternateQuoteStyle() -> advanced markup based on conditions -> handleCollapsedQuotes() for additional issues due to nesting.
Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:01:16 pm by Spuds