Skip to main content
Topic: Do yourself a favour: point mugs at SourceTree (Read 14973 times) previous topic - next topic

Do yourself a favour: point mugs at SourceTree

https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

If GitHub had built Twitter:

"Yeah bro all you have to do is open the CLI and type...

Code: [Select]
< rebase that mf >
bork
zomg n00b ur screwed
rebase that mf
submit pull request for tweet
ssh -T billy.anyteen@github.com
# Permission denied (publickey).
rebase that mf
pull tweet again
ssh: connect to host github.com port 22: No route to host
aargh
rebase that mf
error: The requested URL returned error: 401 while accessing
# https://github.com/user/repo.git/info/refs?service=git-receive-pack
# fatal: HTTP request failed
ssh -T git@github.com
# Hi username! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not
# provide shell access.

If ButtPlug, I mean GitHub, seems like this to you: get SourceTree.

If using ButtPlug's idiotic attempts at building user interfaces make you wish you were doing something more fun, like cataloguing leech species of the Amazon by picking them off your genitals, get SourceTree.

If reading ButtPlug docs makes you want to kill kittens, tell them where they can stick their docs because you have SourceTree and will never need to read ButtPlug's docs again. :D

SourceTree: receiver of the Official Antechinus Seal of Approval. 8)

(srsly, GitHub becomes quite usable once you figure out how to totally avoid any of their docs and interfaces)

(get SourceTree)

(srsly)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Do yourself a favour: point mugs at SourceTree

Reply #1

Now that is some ROFL funny  !  Picking leech species LOL .. I don't who comes up with this stuff but its gives me hope for mankind :D

So have you tried SourceTree?  Cool that its from Atlassian, I use BitBucket for some stuff and in some ways its better than GitHub, but both use (or can) use Git as the source control.  I just use tortoise git and have a flow that works for me these days, but I've been through a lot of pain with git and what commands to use.

Reply #2

Yeah I've tried it. Haven't done an awful lot with it yet, but I have a forked 2.1 repo on ButtPlug, and a synched-to-2.1 local repo on desktop now, and I can use all the basics easily and without swearing. That's a big advance over where things were before.

I'm even contemplating submitting pull requests. Don't faint now. :D

Reply #3

Here, to save you the trouble of logging in at SMF, some choice excerpts from my initial ranting. After downloading SourceTree and doing a bit of inspired ranting, the SMF crew told me the basics of using SourceTree just to shut me up. :D

QuoteSo I was just looking at the GitHub intro docs, again, and contemplating maybe setting up a repo, again, and remembering how much of a PITA GitHub was last time I had these thoughts.

Then I noticed that their intro docs were full of exclamation marks. This reminded me of something I'd read on New Scientist years ago.

Frequent use of exclamation marks is one of the key identifiers that science journal editors use to tell when they're dealing with a complete nutter. If you're an editor who is pressed for time, you can just give any new submission a quick scan without bothering to read the content. If you see lots of exclamation marks, you just bin it straight away.

If someone is claiming to have a working perpetual motion machine, or to have overturned general relativity, they will use lots of exclamation marks to show how exciting their ideas are. This invariably means they are completely loony.

Quote from: JBlaze
Quote from: AntechinusHey has anyone here tried SourceTree?
Yes, and it is a wonderful thing. Seriously.

QuoteI might give it a whirl them. Could be just what the doctor ordered.

This might sound weird coming from a bloke who taught himself HTML, CSS and PHP, but I have no interest in figuring out how GitHub works. It doesn't make my list of "Stuff that is more fun than clubbing in Ibiza". It's just something that gets in the way of what I actually want to do.

If I decide to massacre 100 kittens, I don't want to have to grab a rusty machete and chase them around a paddock in the pouring rain. I want to be able to press a nice, shiny button that drops a nuke on them for me. I don't care how it works, as long as it works.

In this instance, figuring out how it works fits into my "Hey I'd really like to try that" list somewhere between "Enduring a root canal, performed by a gorilla on methedrine" and  "Cataloguing leech species of the Amazon by picking them off my knob". I only want three buttons.

1/ Download new stuffz.
2/ Show me where new stuffz borks my files.
3/ Send unborked stuff back to web.

QuoteOk, haz shiny buttons now*. Also haz question. Which shiny button updates my shiz with the latest shiz from the 2.1 repo I forked from?

*Meaning SourceTree shiny buttons, not PitSlug PestFlop.

Split this out to a new thread if you like, but basically I just want one repo at PitSlug, which automatically gets updated from 2.1 release repo, and then shoves the updates to my clone on desktop.

Do not want anything more complex than that. In fact, am likely to flatly refuse to have anything more complex than that. :D

And das commandenlinen ist verboten. No commandenlinen stuffz at allen. Kthnx.
It works too. SourceTree = No commandenlinen stuffz at allen (unless you actually want to).

Reply #4

Lol I have read it, when I saw "Haz shiny buttons?" I just started to laugh loud ;D
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #5

So after a lot of back and forth over at SMF, including well-meaning but woefully misguided souls attempting to get me to do things "the git way", I have now got it all sorted for sane people who just want to test a bit of code and get on with it.

Ok so all the average mug needs to know is:

1/ Sign up at ButtPlug (sad, but necessary).

2/ Fork a repo over to a new repo of your own.

3/ Do not, under any circumstances, download anything ButtPlug suggests that you download. If they built it, avoid it like the plague. If you fail to follow this step, you will regret it.

4/ Ignore any twat who has the temerity to suggest that you should waste your time looking at any web page than even mentions the CLI. You don't need it, and it will only screw you up.

5/ Get SourceTree. :D

6/ Ask Sourcetree to haul your repo down to desktop. It will do this if you push shiny buttons. SourceTree is nice. :)

6/ Do not make branches. Do not listen to anyone who says you should make branches because "it's a git thang", and refuse to look at any web page that has gruesomely-coloured pictures of supposedly cool branch diagrams that would make Salvador Dali reach for his opium.

7/ Copy files from the desktop repo over to your local host test site. This is why you don't want branches. New branches don't actually make any new files for you to copy to your test site. New branches only make new sorta virtual files that don't really exist. This means they are useless for what you want to do.

8/ Frig around with the files on your local test site until they only break browsers you don't care about (ie: everything except Gecko).

7/ Copy edited files back into desktop repo.

8/ Push changes to ButtPlug (stage chunks, commit, push).

Sorted. :P

It may not be l33t, but it works. 8)

Beats me why the gently caress they didn't just tell me this in the first place. Would have saved a lot of time.

Reply #6

Quote from: Antechinus – 6/ Do not make branches. Do not listen to anyone who says you should make branches because "it's a git thang", and refuse to look at any web page that has gruesomely-coloured pictures of supposedly cool branch diagrams that would make Salvador Dali reach for his opium.
You can do whatever you want, but this will screw your repo more than another any other thing you may do, but you like shiny buttons so go for them. ;)

And I'm not saying it because I read it on some web page, but simply because I didn't do it at the beginning and I screwed my repo several times.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

9/ If repo goes personal floatation device up, make new repo. Making new repo is easy, and you will have backup files on your local test site.

Reply #8

Sounds like you have something that will work for you and maybe some others ... keep your opium close by though ;)

Reply #9

Oh hey, this is just my basic foot-in-the-door strategy for the average mug. I'm not suggesting it's the optimal way to go for experienced power users in control of complex projects. I also realise that if I keep using this stuff long enough I'll just naturally pick up more tricks along the way, which can then be incorporated as and when I think they're useful.

What I'm after at the moment is deliberately keeping the barrier to entry as low as possible. As an analogy, I didn't start theming by reading the entire PHP manual. I started by picking up what I needed to know at the time while I was trying to do something specific. This is  a similar approach, so that all the time and energy that would normally be spent swearing at GitHub can be spent swearing at forum code. ;D
Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:57:49 pm by Antechinus

Reply #10

Yup I get that ... and its a good thing to find something that works for folks who just want to support a project, Git can be a block for some,  Took me a long time to get something that worked for me, but I have a lot of branches to deal with. 

Should you decided to swear at the Elk code, do so on the development branch, thats 1.1 code and is currently being thoroughly abused and is somewhat broken at this time as well  O:-)

Reply #11

https://github.com/StealthWombat/How-to-fork-an-Elk

Reply #12

Its a bit broken right now due to the removal of bg bg2 divs everywhere, have not fully sorted the css / templates to account for that so some padding / margins / shadows / backgrounds are a bit off.

Reply #13

Hey if you want me to be evil, I have a nice list of about 40 or so issues I think should be fixed in 2.1 Beta. If I add them all to the issues list in 2.1 they'll have a list bigger than your 1.1 list. :D

Oh hang on, then they'd want me to fix them all. Hmmm.  :P

Reply #14

LOL .. I wish all of the 1.1 issues were actually in the tracker, would make it seem like we are making better progress :P 

We have soft goal to have a 1.1 beta in about a month, but we are still in the fun part of breaking stuff, so I don't think it will happen.  Its a good goal though,  will happen before the end of year, but till then its fun in the thunder dome.