Skip to main content
Embedding a webpage on front Started by Hometutor · · Read 23256 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. previous topic - next topic

Embedding a webpage on front

Is there an addon that will allow me to embed a webpage on front or perhaps an addon that supports PHP so I could use get file contents.

Rick

Re: Embedding a webpage on front

Reply #1

If you want a different front page, you could try simple portal.  You could do it as a page or php

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds – If you want a different front page, you could try simple portal.  You could do it as a page or php
It's giving me a bit of a hard time but then I'm self-taught. Is that an addon for Elkartes front page?

Reply #3

Yes. Simple Portal can do that.

Reply #4

:point_up_2:exactly.

It can do many things, but given your recent message about I/O limits, it may not be the best thing for you to use in this case.

You could do something like what we have on this site, where there is an HTML landing page for your base site URL and then the forum is in a /forum or /community directory.   On this site I neglected to add in the top menu button to navigate back to the home page, but that is simply an over site. 

Reply #5

Quote from: Spuds – :point_up_2:exactly.

It can do many things, but given your recent message about I/O limits, it may not be the best thing for you to use in this case.

You could do something like what we have on this site, where there is an HTML landing page for your base site URL and then the forum is in a /forum or /community directory.   On this site I neglected to add in the top menu button to navigate back to the home page, but that is simply an over site.

That's what I ended up doing. I'll give the details below. Even as someone who doesn't work with forums that much, perhaps my slightly outside of the box idea may give someone a spark.

In researching the forum I found a mention of using htaccess. I went with that

I set up htaccess so if there were any characters in the root or index.php such as "?" it did not get redirected to the start page.

On the start page I put in typical sales stuff for my client

A tool he wanted on the site which he tried to place in a forum post (didn't work but this is a very end user and nice guy)

At the top I placed in a green background links to Register, Login and by adding a ? to the end of the link the main forum index.

I then used a multifeedreader PHP script I wrote to embed the category feeds separately on the start page. Nice little SEO advantage due to the repetition of the keyworded forum title with the category title at the end. I did the categories separately so I could control the order while getting titles and board names.

Since I needed to assume no user knew anything about forums I used Simpleads to create button menus for both the forum and for going back to the start page at the top of each post.

It's a solution I'm happy with for now. Adds the ability to use full HTML and CSS  for things such as my client's financial calculator and the ease at which end users can add posts via the forum.

If anyone needs anything I wrote to do this you're welcome to it.

I thank everyone for their help both in the past and present.

Rick

Reply #6

Sounds like you came up with a very nice solution ... Great Work:medal: