Skip to main content
Topic: Making avatars round by default (Read 2450 times) previous topic - next topic

Making avatars round by default

Just because that is the trend, why don't we use rounded avatars by default ? Only a matter of using border-radius: 100px; or something.

Re: Making avatars round by default

Reply #1

Personally, I hate when sites do that.
Messes up my avatars....LOL

Reply #2

Quote from: Burke Knight – Personally, I hate when sites do that.
Messes up my avatars....LOL
Probably since they are doing it with just border radius which is not correct since not all avatars are square to start with.

Reply #3

Giving a higher radius solves that, right ? I tried like 160px which worked well. Also Elk resizes avatar to 125 x 125

Reply #4

No, ... If you really want to use a radius use a percent, border-radius: 50% ...

But you can't turn a rectangular avatar into a circle with just radius.  You will need to define a WxH square background, apply 50% radius and then use object-fit of either cover or contain with the avatar (cover/contain depends on if its square or not already).  That will have the lowest chance of not cutting off peoples foreheads or other strange cropping of faces.

At least thats what I did on the Storm Cloud theme that I posted somewhere (plus that has some JS since pale moon did not support object fit properly)

Reply #5

hmm. But many themes give it as default these days.

Reply #6

And your point ?

Reply #7

Should we give it as default ( considering the trend ) ?

Reply #8

emanuele doesn't like rounded avatars that much...
Additionally, light is rather "squared", so I feel rounded avatars would not fit very well.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.