Skip to main content
Topic: Re: So that we remember (or at least I don't forget :P) (Read 7821 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: So that we remember (or at least I don't forget :P)

I'm going to have to go through the markup we inherited from 2.0.x and get ruthless. The number of nested divs and classes is horrible. Anyway, instead of div.windowbg div.padding I'd just use div.windowbg.padding instead (assuming we can't just use a generic padding on all windowbg divs).

TBH, windowbg is a totally crappy class. it says nothing useful in the way of semantics. This might be a good time to consider expediting its demise. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Re: So that we remember (or at least I don't forget :P)

Reply #1

I was looking at the output of the html, and by the time we get to the page, we are 3 levels deep, so the page main template looks to start in the 4th div in from the body tag.  Don't know if that is going to change or not, but need to find out before I change any (more) of the markup to comply with that.  I was updating a couple of files for other reasons and noticed that when I was cleaning things up ...

Reply #2

Just looking at the page source here: the indenting looks all borked, so it's hard to match the tags up. Can't make heads or tails of it. However, looking at the actual template it all makes sense.

What do you need to know? Everything just fits inside index.template anyway, so its div order shouldn't affect the content of other templates. Can't see why it would matter.

Reply #3

Quotethe indenting looks all borked
correct  O:-)

QuoteEverything just fits inside index.template anyway
I think curve used  body div div in index, don't have anything in front of me though ... we now use body div div div in index so most templates that start with a div need to start off indented 4 deep, which is fine.  Its  just that as I have to open up templates for other reasons I just wanted to make sure that was not going to change else anything I do will be time a wasted.

Reply #4

Ok. Well I took a quick look at it last night (was late when I saw your post). There's nothing particularly wrong with the current markup, so it could stay that way. OTOH frankly I can't remember why I threw the extra div in. I have a suspicion it was so people could do roundy stuff in IE8 if they thought that was important.

Could trim it down but I'm not sure we'd be saving anything worthwhile. One div isn't a big deal. I'm more interested in getting rid of the ones that multiply every page (like .post .inner, which I can see no good reason for).