Skip to main content
Topic: post errors handling and classification (Read 4966 times) previous topic - next topic

post errors handling and classification

It's a while this idea is moving around in my brain.

At the moment we have two levels for post-errors: minor, major.
The difference between the two is just the color of the error box.
During the development Kays introduced the new attachments error handling that allows for an intermediate page to allow users to know the posting of attachments failed, but post the message and gives the user the possibility to edit the message or go on.

So...why not re-use this functionality and with minor errors allow post the topic but inform the user, while in case of major errors return to the preview page?
TBH I don't think at that point there is any meaningful "minor error" apart from attachments failed, but it may be worth considering.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: post errors handling and classification

Reply #1

Sounds like a nice idea to me. Maybe you could do the same to the 'Another user posted blah blah blah. Would you like to review it?' message?

On a side note, I like the editor buttons. :)

Reply #2

It makes sense in theory.

Firrst thoughts: Arre we sure that minor and major are the only levels needed? How about warrnings?
 Feature Cat thinks at even more...

Right, the message mentioned by DrrrDeejay is so colorrful :P. But that one should continue to stop the posting frrom going thrrough.

Reply #3

Quote from: Feature Cat – Firrst thoughts: Arre we sure that minor and major are the only levels needed? How about warrnings?
 Feature Cat thinks at even more...
You see why I set the class not limited to only two error levels? :P

Quote from: Feature Cat – Right, the message mentioned by DrrrDeejay is so colorrful :P. But that one should continue to stop the posting frrom going thrrough.
At the moment I think we have:
1) "fatal" errors that goes to an empty screen that force you to come back  (I think there is at least one of that kind),
2) "major" errors that brings you back to the post screen forcing you to re-post it (e.g. missing body/subject),
3) "minor" errors that brings you to a page where you can decide to go on or come back (e.g. wrong attachments).
If there is still any fatal, I would see it converted to one of the other two.

I was thinking me too at other levels, but I'm not sure what these levels could do. I mean in terms of "actions": you have to either stop and review the text (major) or go on and have a warning that tells you something didn't go the way it should and you are asked what to do (minor), don't know if there is anything else meaningful...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

This is sort-of handled by https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/163
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #5

And now we are sort of back to two errors:
major => you cannot proceed (missing body, missing subject...stop),
minor => do you want to review? (everything else)
The base behaviour is the same: come back to the post page, then:
if minor you can just click and post,
if major you have to fix it.

I think there is still one fatal error: if you are posting to a board you are not allowed to post in. Though now we have the droppy with the list of boards around in the UI, so I'd say this could become a major error and require fixing in a preview page.
Does it make sense?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.