Skip to main content
Topic: Display of the IP in the poster info (Read 5315 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Display of the IP in the poster info

Reply #15

Welcome to the internet of the 2016. :)
IP banning will be mostly useless.

The IP can very well be yours, the link I posted is the RIPE, in the organism that assigns the IP ranges to company, is not about geolocation. ;)

The reason why on your website you still see the IPv4 is likely because your sever doesn't support IPv6 and so the network shows the server the v4 instead of the v6.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

Quote from: Ruth – Thank you, Emanuele.

I am trying to figure out since days what could be wrong about the poster info and the profiles in my testforum, that the E-Mail and the website is not displayed in the poster info - and this issue about my "strange" IP here on ElkArte.net and the missing hostname entry in the profiles was puzzling me very much.

Quote I'm not that keen in widening the profile area just to accommodate the IP, at best I would truncate it.

So such long IPs like mine here can be displayed "shorter" in future? Would be nice. This break is looking ugly.  ;)
Just to restate: in my opinion, the solution is to truncate the IP and show only what can stay in the space, anything else becomes hidden.
If that is fine, I guess it can be worked on.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Quote from: emanuele – The reason why on your website you still see the IPv4 is likely because your sever doesn't support IPv6 and so the network shows the server the v4 instead of the v6.

Yes, I think, I have understood this now, Emanuele. Thank you for the explaination.

Quote from: emanuele – Welcome to the internet of the 2016. :)

Thank you. :P  I feel a little too old for this. ;) ( it is already 2018 by the way)

Quote from: emanuele – Just to restate: in my opinion, the solution is to truncate the IP and show only what can stay in the space, anything else becomes hidden.
If that is fine, I guess it can be worked on.

Yes, I understood. This would be fine.  :)

Reply #18

Don't worry, I guess we are not that far away and anyway IPv6 is out since... quite a bit of time and has been on a rampage since before 2016 (in 2016 it reached about 10%). :)
https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption&tab=ipv6-adoption
Also, Germany seems to be the 2nd country in EU for IPv6 adoption after Belgium:
https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption&tab=ipv6-adoption
Actually, according to these data is the 2nd world-wide. O_O
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

This change of the IPs must have some advantages, even if I can't quite understand it.

Since a few months I have a new contract with my provider and a new router. Something had been changed completly on the conection to the internet (They were digging holes in front of my house and along the street for this.)

Everything should be even better and faster now.
But it was good enough for me before.
The only difference I notice, is that it is now even more expensive. ;)

Reply #20

lol

Well, the general reason for IPv6 is that there are no more IPv4 addresses...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Agreed. I think IPv6 should be catering the need for fixed IP in the future. Not sure whether it will be more expensive though...