Skip to main content
Topic: Mentioning with special characters (Read 220 times) previous topic - next topic

Mentioning with special characters

I have an user who uses special character in the name "Lä" i tried @La and the full name mentions doesn't pick it up.

Re: Mentioning with special characters

Reply #1
I'm not sure what we can do about that ... is it typical to translate ä => a and of course all of the other umlaut style characters.   If you had a keyboard capable of entering an ä then the mentions list should find them as normal. ... Maybe we could define the use of a wildcard character for a match any single character at a position?
Squish squish. squish, squish, squish.
Find a bug,
Make a wish.

Reply #2
Sorry the terms look technical for me, as of now you suggest to change the character and work?

Reply #3
Unless you can enter an ä with your keyboard, its not going to match.   

On my keyboard if I want the ä character, I have to hold down the left ALT key, then type in 0228 from my numpad, then release ALT .. You can try that and see if it works. 
Find a bug,
Make a wish.

Reply #4
ä

Verks on Vindoze 10. Nifty trick. Didn't know about that.

ETA: Hey cool! It even does diphthongs. I love diphthongs. Now I can do encyclopædia properly. That'll confuse the rugrats. :D

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6008-alt-key-codes-special-characters-list.html
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5
Thanks for the cool link, saved that PDF for future use … :)
Find a bug,
Make a wish.

Reply #6
I figured I'd want it as HTML, on the basis that I'll be using it in a browser anyway, and I don't much like PDF's.

Whipped up a responsive version that will fit in any window. Attached.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #7
Thongs! I love thongs! 

Oh, you said diphthongs. Nevermind. ;D

Seriously, mentions hate usernames with spaces as well. 

Reply #8
Weeeeell... an option could be to "resurrect" an idea I proposed a while ago t ohave a "mention nick", mostly like twitter where you have the equivalent of a real name and an "@"something that can be used for @ someone that is simple ASCII letters only and no spaces, no punctuation, no "strange" things.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.